It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Spasm-like Excruciating Pain in the Upper Left Leg

Hi: In the past couple of months, there were spasm-like and excruciting pain in the upper part of my left leg that lasted about 10 minutes that occurred without any warning, whatever. During both ecruciating episodes, there were also dizziness in the head. I barely made to the bathroom to relieve myself. I did not blackout, but all of my thoughts were 'get out of the hellish pain.', to almost wanting to mourn.

I am otherwise quite healthy individual working in the backyard and outdoor, although I have slight high-blood pressure and mild cholesterol level.

In the past, I took Propranolol 5 mg. per day for minor-tremor. Now, the tremor was completely gone. Also, I take Meclizine for my dizziness as needed, but dizziness is almost gone.

Is this excruciting pain is related to blood vessel, although I have a good heart on the Test I took?

Wonder what this, excrucitinag pain in the upper part of my left leg could be?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
(male)

videogamecrazed HB User
Re: Spasm-like Excruciating Pain in the Upper Left Leg

I am so sorry that you are feeling like this amanda!, and it stinks to not know why. I myself posted a question on the boards a few weeks or less ago titled "help my thigh is going to explode". Mine however, was in my right leg but felt VERY similar to what you are describing. I have a long Hx of back pain and surgery (fusion of lumbar spine x2) I have some nerver damage and NO hx of leg pain post op x 6 months ago in my right leg,however, The pain had up and appeared out of nowhere x a few weeks ago, the pain literally sent me to the ground and I could support NO weight on that right leg, it also spasmed like I have not ever felt or seen a spams, spasm before. My GP gave me a week remark that I probably had a pinched nerve, uhhh okay, how, where etc... I think He could find any problems but he could literally see the spams as there was no way to miss them and he also remarked on it. I take Lyrica, Oxycontin, and he added dilaudid, Soma, and prednisone for 2 weeks at the time of this appt. I finished the meds, felt fine for 2 weeks and now the pain is back. Monday I go to my Back surgeon (orthopedic surgeon) and will request an MRI/CT etc. Lets keep each other up to date and see what we can figure out. I hope we do cuz man does this hurt. We may not even have the same problem but no one as of yet has been able to understand or has stated that they had been through this ( i even posted on the Back forums with no avail).

God Bless and hope your days are pain free!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Amanda & Video - Wow! We must be suffering from the same thing, whatever that is! I have been experiencing excruciating pain in my upper left thigh that comes on in a flash, without warning, and feels like the worst kind of labor pain a woman could have, only it's in the thigh muscle not the uterus. When I get it I am almost always lying down in bed and I just wait for the spasms to stop - sometimes using my balled-up fist to try and place pressure on the muscle. It never lasts more than 2 or 3 minutes, but can come back in waves during an evening. I am always worried that I've got a blood clot in my leg but my doc has always said that most blood clots will cause pain in the area directly behind the knee. I can't think of any diagnostic test that could be performed to diagnose the problem and so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Take care - Memere (K'Mac)

Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI but pain from an actual blood clot can actually show anywhere along the veinous route not just behind the knee(tho this is most of the time where they seem to end up,that and the calf).there IS a good acurate way of really looking into the veins in the legs to check blood flow and look for clots.they just use an ultrasound with doppler.i had to have this done after my knee surgery just to make certain the calf pain i was having wasn't stemming from a clot somewhere.but it is very good at checking the blood flow and finding clots or even a thickening within a vein wall.if you suspect a possible clot,all your doc has to do is send you for that type of ultrasound.pretty simple and painless.

having leg spasms can also be from a lack of magnesium in the body or even potassium too.these should really be checked out to make certain they are within the normal ranges.

just some non spine related possibilities.but you CAN get your leg veins checked out.good luck,Marcia

Old 11-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Marcia - thanks for the good information!! I remember that my mother had the doppler exam done when she had suspected blood clots in her legs while undergoing chemotherapy for her cancer. Unfortunately she really had tons of these clots in her legs and they ended up operating to insert a tiny screen at the junction of her thigh and her groin (I think that's where they placed it) to catch any of these clots. She passed away shortly after that, but not from the blood clots....from the cancer. I worry because I am so sedentary and I don't move my legs very much. I've recently added some leg exercises to my daily routine which I hope will help prevent any blood clots. They are scary things.....if one makes its way to your heart or your brain it spells STROKE and sometimes death. Memere

Old 11-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

so sorry to hear about your mom.were these clots actually caused by her cancer or treatment in some way?did she have any blood disorders that you can recall?i am only asking as some tendencies with certain blood disorders can be hereditary in nature.if you are sedentary you may wantto start taking a low dose aspirin every day just to keep things abit more thinned out and lessen the risk or developing clots.but this is something you should really discuss with your doc and after some lab work to see where your clotting times are and check for any possible abnormalities.i have to take aspirin everyday now for the rest of my life since an aneurysm was discovered two years ago.i was able to have it coiled which was wonderful compared to the alternative of having a craniotomy and deep brain surgery.thank god for the enteric coated baby aspirin or i would have some big problems with it as i cannot tolerate aspirin in my stomach.it just burns like all get out then comes back up on me,so am lucky to have an option there or things would be pretty ugly around here for me.

i just really do think considering your moms history that it wouldn't hurt you to just see if the aspirin thing may benefit you.espescially if you are sedentary most of the time.it can help take that risk of clots down for you.just discuss it with your doc after some blood work gets done and see what he or she thinks.just what type of cancer did your mom have?again i am so sorry for your loss.i recently lost my dad back in march of this year,very unexpectedly.kind of threw me for a huge loop.you just never really know what is waiting for us around that next turn ya know?take care Memere,Marcia

Closed Thread