It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2001, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

diamondgirl HB User
Red face excruciating leg cramps....only in one leg??

Hi,
I sure do hope I get some responses to this post....I've been having these unbelieveable leg cramps, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week. They seem to happen at night, when I'm at rest, my left leg just starts to cramp up into the WORST pain! And it's only in the left leg, NEVER the right one. They last a couple of minutes, and then afterwards sometimes, my leg feels sore for a while. Has anyone ever had anything like this, in one leg? I went to the doctor for it a while back, he ran some blood tests, and all he told me to do was take Advil at night. Yeah, right...oh, and I take a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement every day, no other meds, no caffeine, no smoking or drinking (yes, I'm dull!) Thanks in advance.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:19 PM   #2

jug HB User
Thumbs up

i think i have an idea of what you're talking about, i sometimes get something similar. usually at night, or if i've been sitting in a certain position for awhile, and then move suddenly to a different position. when it happens, my calf becomes really tense and somewhat painful...although, i enjoy the feeling. if this is the same thing as you, i don't think there's anything to worry about...maybe do some exercising or something to work those muscles, i really don't know.

jug

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2001, 06:17 AM   #3

siouxzee HB User
Leg cramps are fairly common disorders that may affect all age groups. They are often refered to as "Charley-horse."
They seem to occur with greater frequency in the middle-aged and older populations. Leg cramps can be extremely painful and usually affect the calf muscles or the intrinsic muscles of the soles of the feet.

Treatments consist of:
Stretching of the affected muscle (as in walking).
Mechanical prevention. Advise to stretch calf muscles intermittently throughout the day, use a footboard during sleep, and dangle feet over the edge of bed when lying prone.

Pharmacologic prevention.
The efficacy of quinine sulfate at low doses (such as 300 mg PO QHS) has been supported by several recent analysis. Its use is controversial since the FDA has banned quinine-based OTC preparations for nocturnal leg cramps. Potentially fatal thrombocytopenia, hypersensitivity reactions, or arrhythmias can occur with quinine use.
Other reportedly helpful medications include vitamin E (800 units/day), verapamil (Calan), carbamazepine (Tegretol), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), phenytoin (Dilantin), methocarbamol (Robaxin), and riboflavin; however, no randomized, controlled studies were found in the literature.

During a painful attack, one method to immediatly stop the pain has been obsereved. Sit up in bed, with your legs out in front of you. Reach down and grab the top part of the foot of the effected leg and pull toward you. Another way is to stand up and squat. These exercises stretch the muscle and make it go out of "cramp mode".

Old 09-16-2001, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

diamondgirl HB User
Thanks for the great information!

Old 10-07-2001, 12:44 AM   #5

RealityCheck HB User
For these type of cramps, I've heard moist heat is good. If you can manage a tub full of hot water, or a hot wet wash cloth applied to the affected area. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2001, 07:15 AM   #6
(female)

diamondgirl HB User
Thank you. I also have another doctor's appointment this Tuesday. This has just been happening too much for me not to get it checked out again.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:00 AM   #7
(male)

smoothguy777 HB User
Re: excruciating leg cramps....only in one leg??

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl
Hi,
I sure do hope I get some responses to this post....I've been having these unbelieveable leg cramps, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week. They seem to happen at night, when I'm at rest, my left leg just starts to cramp up into the WORST pain! And it's only in the left leg, NEVER the right one. They last a couple of minutes, and then afterwards sometimes, my leg feels sore for a while. Has anyone ever had anything like this, in one leg? I went to the doctor for it a while back, he ran some blood tests, and all he told me to do was take Advil at night. Yeah, right...oh, and I take a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement every day, no other meds, no caffeine, no smoking or drinking (yes, I'm dull!) Thanks in advance.
Hi Dimaond Girl, this surprising I am Male 30 from Bombay, India and I have the exact same problem since quite some time, was surfing thru Google and reached here!

Have you found some perma remediy to capture the same as I can have Advil or any pain killers which has Brufen Substance and I personally use some ointments which actually heat up of give lots warmth to my leg that does help to some extent but I have assesed that whenever I keep the AC lil fast while sleeping in the night is when this gets triggered, specially if I am verying boxers etc, if the legs are fully covered and not exposed to the direct flow of AC or fast Fan it never starts!

I am extremly curious to know/lean/share on this subject anyone who can add I will be highly delighted and thankful, hope everyone here has a rocking 31st Night and a healthy, wealthy and peaceful 2005!

Smoothguy
{REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-30-2004 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Please don't post website addresses. Please read the posting rules. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 12-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

If your doc didn't give you a script for quinine tabs, go back and get one. I was having these little charmer cramps, only at night, in a sound sleep. They woke me, and before I knew it I was standing straight up wondering who had stuck a burning poker into my calf, if they were just annoying I could live with that, but they hurt like the dickens, good luck
Quote:
Thank you. I also have another doctor's appointment this Tuesday. This has just been happening too much for me not to get it checked out again.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

rlslifer HB User

Hi there,
You may also want to look into Restless Leg Syndrome. The urge to move to feel comfortable is one of the symptoms of this disorder. Yes, it can be a whole body issue, even just one leg. It tends to happen at rest, or when you are unable to move freely. Look into doing a little research about the symptoms to see if this sounds like your problem. I think it's a probable cause.
Good luck.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
(male)

RAYSMITHA1 HB User

Quote:
Hi,
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
QUININE WILL CUT OUT THIS KIND OF CRAMP IN JUST MINUTES.AND, I CAN TAKE IT PREVENTATIVELY WHEN I KNOW I HAVE TENSION BEFORE THE CRAMP OCCURS.
TRY IT!!! , RAY

Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #11
(female)

storm12 HB User

What about NO problems with cramping during the night, but during the day?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #12

turl HB User
muscle cramps in calf

I realize the original post is quite old, but since there's some newer ones, I'll post what helped me........

A little over a year ago, one of my calf muscles started to cramp at night several times a week. I started taking a good-quality magnesium supplement (some types are not well absorbed by the body--like the least expensive kind--mg oxide) since Mg is supposed to be the mineral that causes muscles to relax (calcium is the one that causes them to contract--as in the heart muscle). I got a little relief, but total relief came when I started taking potassium. I had to keep increasing it til my cramping subsided. Now I no longer have them. If I go a few days without my potassium, I can feel the muscles start to twitch, and I know a full-blown cramp isn't far behind, so I do know--for me anyway--that potassium is the key.

You could get your doctor to check your electrolytes if you're concerned about supplementing needlessly, etc. (high doses of potassium are supposedly unsafe......most pill supplements of it are very low dose.....I use a powdered form that is a "substitute salt").

Good luck,
Tab

Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 AM   #13
(male)

woody1 HB User

I have had the left leg bedtime cramp a few times and I immediately stretch the leg out stiff and hold it. The cramp subsides in 10-30 seconds. It is painful to do the stretching but I would hate to know what the pain would be if I let it continue to cramp.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
(male)

Joe888 HB User

Well i can relate to this problem ill wake up in the middle of the night and move my leg and ill go into SOOOO!!! much pain and in the morning my leg will hurt its like the top part of the caf. Also about another cramp...This might sound odd but its the muscle in my CHIN!?!?! I dont understand that one it will tighten up and buldge out alittle and it will go away but if i put my hand where it buldged out it hurts that muscle. Also its not the whole muscle its like the right side of my chin. Can someone explain that one?

Last edited by Joe888; 05-04-2005 at 01:01 PM.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi All, Guess there's lot's of us who have this leg cramp problem. I get it in BOTH the calf and chin (thankfully it's never happened at the same time!). I know for sure I will get one if I switch shoe types...I usually wear flat, but if I HAVE to wear heels one day, that I KNOW will bring it on. IF I forget to take my Calcium/Magnesium tabs for a few days, I will get one. My theory is MAGNESIUM. And keep well hydrated. I'm not sure about the potassium, but I've heard that works, too, although, I thought excess potassium (as well as low levels) of potassium can cause heart arrythemias??? But there are natural forms of potassium, which are readily available...bananas, OJ, baked potatoes, etc. I think I read a bunch of other threads about this in the boards, too...try the search. Hope you all have a good nights sleep.

Closed Thread