It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2002, 07:05 PM   #1

india22 HB User
Question Allergic to Penicillin - can I take Cipro ???

I was prescribed Cipro (500mg twice a day) for a UTI infection, but I'm allergic to Penicillin. My doc. said nothing should happen,but if it does I should take an antihistamine.

Isn't there any other pill that can help a UTI?? I'm just very scared of taking Cipro, especially when my pill book states that if your allergic you can die on your first dosage!

Please help

Old 03-18-2002, 11:09 AM   #2

india22 HB User
Does anyone have an answer or direct me in the right direction on the web???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2002, 01:36 PM   #3

bird123 HB User
Yes, you can take Cipro. There is no cross reaction between Cipro and Penicillin. Another medication for urinary tract infection is Bactrim (TMP-SMX DS) which is a sulfa drug. If you are not allergic to sulfa drugs you can take Bactrim instead, but Cipro is better.

Old 03-18-2002, 06:50 PM   #4

india22 HB User
Thanks for responding. I just got so nervous when the doc. said "IF" there is a problem take an antihistamine right away & the "Pill Book" stating death can occur sort of freaked me out!

Thanks again,
India

Old 03-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #5

s0beautiful HB User
i also am allergic to penicillan (and it seems every other antibiotic lol) but i took cipro for a uti a few years ago and was fine i get worried too whenever i take a new medication becuz i am allergic to so many of them. i freak out acutally. i sit in front of the pill bottle like "should i take it or no" lol...did you take it yet? are you ok?

Old 03-21-2002, 09:25 PM   #6

SNILVR HB User
I TO AM ALLERGIC TO ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT IS OUT THERE. THEY SAY THAT IT IS BECAUSE OF BEING BORN 2 MONTHS EARLY AND THAT MY IMMUNE SYSTEM DID NOT DEVELOPE PROPERLY. ANYHOW I TAKE MACROBID FOR UTI'S AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER! I HAVE TAKEN IT FOR 2 OR 3 DIFFERENT OCCASIONS! IT IS ALSO SAFE IF YOU ARE TRYING TO OR ARE PREGNANT!
DOES IT NOT SEEM LIKE JUST BECAUSE WE ARE ALLERGIC TO SO MANY MEDS. THAT THE ONES THAT WE CAN TAKE ARE THE MOST EXPENSIVE!
I SUGGESTION FOR ANYBODY THAT IS ALLERGIC TO MEDS. IS TO HAVE YOUR DR.WRITE OUT A PRESCIPTION FOR A 2 OR 3 DAY DOSE AND THEN ANOTHER FOR THE REST OF THE DOSE, THAT WAY IF YOU DO GET A REACTION YOU WON'T HAVE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON MEDS. THAT WILL JUST GO DOWN THE DRAIN. ANOTHER SUGGESTION IS TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET SAMPLES FROM THE DR.
MY DR. JUST LAUGHS AT ME EVERYTIME THAT I SHOW UP BECAUSE HE KNOWS THAT HE HAS TO TRY AND FIND A NEW MED. FOR WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL! KRISTIN

Old 03-22-2002, 07:02 AM   #7

s0beautiful HB User
i'm w/ you on that one! the only antibiotic that we've found so far that i'm not allergic to is biaxin, which is almost $80 a prescription!! it took us forever to find that one, and now that's all i take. it sucks becuz i have problems w/ my teeth that i can't afford to get fixed, so they keep getting infected , so i have to take a lot of biaxin! it makes you wonder why huh? no one else in my family is allergic to any sort of medication, just me, the one w/out health insurance lol!

------------------
"life is a blur, focus on fashion"

Old 03-22-2002, 08:11 AM   #8

bird123 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by s0beautiful:
the only antibiotic that we've found so far that i'm not allergic to is biaxin, which is almost $80 a prescription!!
If you are able to take Biaxin, which a microlide antibiotic, you should be able to tolerate other antibiotics from the same group, such as Zithromax and Erythromycin, which are cheaper. Have you tried those?

Old 03-22-2002, 12:03 PM   #9

india22 HB User
My doc. perscribed me: Cephalexin. It's been 2 days and everthiing seems okay.

I just hope this is just as strong as other UTI antibiotics?

[This message has been edited by india22 (edited 03-22-2002).]

Old 03-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #10

bird123 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by india22:
[B]My doc. perscribed me: Cephalexin. It's been 2 days and everthiing seems okay.

I just hope this is just as strong as other UTI antibiotics? [B]
Cefalexin is too strong for treating a simple UTI. That's why it is not the first choice drug for UTI. Since E.coli (a bug causing majority of UTI) is usually sensitive to Cephalexin, it is certainly OK to use this drug for UTI treatment.

Closed Thread