It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2002, 11:55 AM   #1

Tinkerbell2000 HB User
Question bone or tissue?

I have recently noticed a growth of bone or other hard tissue under the skin on the underside of the middle knuckle on my hand. I first noticed this about a month ago, and today it seems substantially larger. It causes no pain but I have no idea what it might be. I have made an appointment with my doctor to take a look at it next week, but wondered if anyone has any ideas. I would prefer to do some research on the internet before my doctor's visit, but really have no idea what subject to put into a search engine. Knuckle lump? Abnormal bone growth?

Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
The fact that it's on the knuckle suggests that it may be the beginning of arthritis, which can enlarge or distort the joint. Arthritis often doesn't hurt at the beginning, and sometimes it never hurts.

I have several knuckles with that problem...it happened gradually over the past 10 years, but the knuckles don't hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2002, 08:43 PM   #3

Tinkerbell2000 HB User
Thanks for your response Sam. Are these "growths" on the inside of your knuckles? The part near the palm?

Old 07-05-2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Sounds like a benign condition called a ganglion cyst.
Here is a website all about them.
[url="http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/users/jwhiting/ganglia.html"]http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/users/jwhiting/ganglia.html[/url]

Old 07-06-2002, 11:19 AM   #5

Tinkerbell2000 HB User
Thank you Lindarella for your response. When first reading about the ganglion cyst, I was hopeful that I'd found my diagnosis. I further researched the ganglion cyst via a search engine however, and found that the cyst is described as "free-moving". My growth is as hard as a rock and doesn't budge in any direction.

I'll be visiting my doctor on Monday, but would appreciate any other suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2002, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Tinkerbell -
Yes, the lumps I have are on the inside of the knuckle, the same side as the palms. I actually had a ganglion cyst which seems to have disappeared, and it's definitely not the same thing.

Old 07-06-2002, 08:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I understand tinker that it's hard like a rock. I have one on my wrist that is very hard, just like a round bone jutting out. It stayed that way for about 2 years then one day was just gone. Now it comes and goes. They're really pretty variable. I had one on my ankle as a teen that was very soft and movable. It eventually interrupted my shoe wear so I had it shot with cortisone and it went away.

Guess you'll find out Monday. Hope that's what it is anyway as they're easy to treat and not harmful.
Good luck with that.

Old 07-07-2002, 03:46 PM   #8

Tinkerbell2000 HB User
Wink

Yes, let's hope so!

Thank you both for your helpful posts.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
(male)

ATHiker95 HB User
Question Re: bone or tissue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2000 View Post
Thank you Lindarella for your response. When first reading about the ganglion cyst, I was hopeful that I'd found my diagnosis. I further researched the ganglion cyst via a search engine however, and found that the cyst is described as "free-moving". My growth is as hard as a rock and doesn't budge in any direction.

I'll be visiting my doctor on Monday, but would appreciate any other suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks.
Don't know if anyone would be reading this post anymore, but I have the identical issue on the palm side of my knuckles with the ring finger of my left hand having the biggest hard "rock" on it - almost looks like it is trying to push through skin. I've shown these to my rheumies before but they've never really commented. Now I'm wondering if they let these things proceed when they should have been initiating or suggesting some additional treatment (such as biologicals - enbrel,etc) to halt this progression. They don't really hurt, but what happens eventually is the question I have??

Thanks,
Mark

Closed Thread