It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
(male)

madness1 HB User
Various problems.. not sure whats wrong.

Okay well I have a few problems and I dont know if they are related, so I'l start with my background... then discuss my modern day problems.

A few years ago I had some pretty bad acid reflux problems, after being perscribed a few different meds, I found that Nexium helped me. But around this time, I noticed that I started having problems where it felt like I had to clear my throat alot. Upon spitting the mucous in to a napkin, it seemed to have a lumpy kind of consistency, but the thing that worried me at the time was it seemed to have streaks of darker colors thru it. At the time I was a smoker, so the doctor attributed it to that. Well I was given an Upper GI, and then when it turned up nothing, I was sent for a endioscopy, but the insurance wouldnt cover it. This was the beginning of the year. I kept up the diet and nexium until mid october, when I finally had the extra cash for the endioscopy. I went in for the test, and at this point they said everything was okay, so I was able to return to a normal diet. Acid problems died down, occasionally they would flare up, which I would just have to normally take a pill of nexium and it would clear up. This normally happened maybe once every few weeks, didnt seem too adnormal.

Starting around then, I started what the doctor told me was sinus headaches. The first thing that happened was pain in the back of my neck. When it got worse, it radiated to the back of my head, and when it got really bad, my temples and felt like it made the back of my eyes hurt. This happened on and off since. I was living in a basement at the time, so considering the "damp" smell that seems to go along with it many times, I thought maybe it was some type of problem attributed to allergies or fungii, cause even tho i didnt see any actual mold or anything, typically thats what the stale damp smell means. After moving out of that house, things seemed to get a bit better.

Still got the occasional headaches though.

Well about a year ago, I got what I thought was a sinus infection. I had more common sinus headaches, I have this feeling in the back of my throat where it feels like I have to contantly clear my throat, and like I have a pretty continuous nasal drip. The biggest reason I thought I had a sinus infection though, was every morning I woke up with a very dry throat and like I had to clear my throat, and in the morning when I actually managed to clear my throat, it had a lumpy greenish/yellow color to it. A nurse friend of mine told me that normally that color means an infection. But this all happened after a big move, and I do not have any form of insurance, and money is very tight, so I could not go to a doctor for it. This happened on and off for a good portion of the last year, but the last couple months it seems the greenish/yellowish color has stopped. But I usually do still wake up with what feels like a dry throat.

So now up to today... the last few weeks I been having the old "sinus" problems again, amoung other problems. But I am not so sure it is from my sinuses anymore.

So let me explain in detail what is happening to me nowdays...

Nearly every day I am getting the pain in the back of my neck. It has not gotten to those very severe cases like I used to get, but the fact that it is happening reguarly worries me. It start at the back of my neck still. The exact spots, is in the center of the back of my neck, straight up from where my spine stops. Also towards the sides of the back of my neck - kind of along my hairline - is another spot it starts. It feels in the position of where 2 "nodes" are, if that helps. Also the "nodes" underneath my ears, behind where my jaw stops, seem to occasionally feel sore when this happens. I dont know if this is normal or not, but the ones behind my jaw/under my ears feel a bit different on each side too, always did because i remember feeling them back in the day when I used to originally get my acid problems along with sinuses. The right side feels more like 1 long one, and the left side feels like 2 smaller bumps. I dont knnow if this is normal or not, or if maybe the one in the right is actually 2 smaller ones their just closer, but I figured I would mention it just in case. The doctor felt them back then though and didnt think anuything of it though. Usually when this pain happens, it seems that my sinuses are kind of bothering me too. It feels like "above" my throat is congested. All this leads me to believe that it may be sinus problems still. The reason I think it may not be, is usually when this happens, i feel kind of "burpy" or a little nauseous maybe. Unless this is from the nasal drip, I dont know if its sinus problems.

Also I still have that problem where it feels like I have to clear the back of my throat. I noticed that when I feel kind of burpy, or naseous, it feels kind of like i Am overfull sometimes. When I get this feeling, it is the most common time that I get that lumpy mucous in the back of my throat that I discussed at the beginning of this post. And even though I havent smoked for a few monmths now, and havent for a few months on and off during the last year, it still has those darker streaks in it sometimes. I will say that they are a bit less dark, butthey are still there. I also noticed that when this happens, and i feel overfull etc, if i inhale a deep breath, it feels like I have some sort fo pressure in my chest, which usually ends up with me having to burp, but sometimes it also makes my lungs feel like I have to exhale strongly to help force up some mucous, and when i do this it usually brings up some of that lumpy gunk. As I said earlier though , it is not yellowish anymore like it was a year ago and the months following.

Now, If it was from smoking, it would be coming from my lungs then correct? Then I dont understand why it typically happens when my stomach is giving me probelems and feels overfull? It seems to me like the gunk with streaks in it it has something to do with my digestive system. Which also makes me confused, becuase the gunk gotten less streaky in the time I havent smoked, and I dont know why it would happen when I inhale deeply. I also dont understand why this typically happens along with my sinus problems, if its a coincidence or not. I dont even knnow if my sinus problems are really sinus problems because I dont understand the symptoms good enough. When I did a search onnline I found this link - [url]http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html[/url] - and the sinus pain I have feels most like in the areas of one of the first two on there. The second one - SCM - makes me curious because it lists "Dizziness, nausea, "migraine" and "sinus". Aside from dizziness, it seems to match up pretty well. Does this explain the burpiness and everything else though? or is this a different problem?

I dont know whats wrong and I dont really know what to do =(. I cant afford a doctor really , but I know I have to get it checked out. Right now all the money is going to some urgent dental surgery - I have to get a tooth removed because it cracked and I have to go back for a consultation with the surgeon to set up the removal. Aside from that, I am 26 years old and I still have to get my impacted wisdom teeth removed, so that has been on the top of my list to do,ever since one of my impacted wisdom teeth also cracked, and it makes it difficult to eat because food often gets stuck underneath the gum and too much pressure there causes pain or bleeding. Getting money saved up for the tooth removal and wisdom teeth is going to take alot of work, I have no idea how I could get my sinus problems or whatever they are checked out too..... I dont know how much good it would do anyway... whenevr i brought up these problems to my old doctor, since I bombarded him with so many symptoms I'm pretty sure he just dismissed them as being paranoid , he didnt even seem very enthusistic on feeling the nodes in question that I told him about, and just gave me some allergy/sinus meds. If I had the money to go, I wouldnt want to have that happpen agian and feel like it all went to waste. I dont even know if I should go to a general doctor, or eyes nose throat doctor, or a gastro, or what....

Does anyone have any insight on what these sinus problems, or whatever they are, could really be? Is it just a sinus infection? or does it sound like SCM problems or whatever? Or do my symptoms match up with anything else?

I dont know what the problem is, all I know is the constant headache-type pain in the back of my neck/head is happening reguarly and makes it very hard to concentrate depending how severe it is, and I want them to stop. The nasal drip/throat/mucous problems do suck, but I am able to live with them - I just made sure to mention them incase they were related to eachother or anything else., this damn lingering head/neck pain I can not ignore.

Sorry for the really long post....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Various problems.. not sure whats wrong.

Okay, your post is kinda long, but I have two thoughts.

Acid reflux can cause throat irritations, even if you are on Nexium. I'm also taking a similar drug, and, when the acid reflux acts up, I often get a sore throat, especially in the mornings, sometimes without any heartburn. Sleeping propped up on a bean bag chair helps.

Impacted/infected wisdom tooth probably wouldn't cause a runny nose, but it can cause headaches. If I were you, just based on what you describe, I would make getting the tooth out a financial priority and deal with the other stuff later.

Does taking allergy meds help with the nasal stuff? You might have to take them for several days to see an effect.

Good luck, and try to hang in there and not stress too much.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
(male)

madness1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Okay, your post is kinda long, but I have two thoughts.

Acid reflux can cause throat irritations, even if you are on Nexium. I'm also taking a similar drug, and, when the acid reflux acts up, I often get a sore throat, especially in the mornings, sometimes without any heartburn. Sleeping propped up on a bean bag chair helps.

Impacted/infected wisdom tooth probably wouldn't cause a runny nose, but it can cause headaches. If I were you, just based on what you describe, I would make getting the tooth out a financial priority and deal with the other stuff later.

Does taking allergy meds help with the nasal stuff? You might have to take them for several days to see an effect.

Good luck, and try to hang in there and not stress too much.
Allergy meds didnt really make much of a difference, though I ran out of them long ago.

I know the teeth arent causing it, but the one I have to get removed cracked in half basically, and the one half of it is "loose" so it has to be removed. Thats what im working on right now and the biggest reason I cant make a doc appt right now - my dentist appt is on this coming tuesday and thats just for the consulatation, not the removal.

After that the wisdom teeth are top priority, because while they are not infected, the impacted one cracked and I was told the older you get, the harder it is to remove the teeth, and im years behind on that at 26 years old.

I am fairly sure my problem at least has something to do with sinuses. My headache last night, I could tell the area around my sinuses was congested. Just from breathing I could feel it being fairly blocked, and the worse it got, the worse the headache got.

The main thing that worrys me is how the sinus problem is related to my other problems. I find it strange that problems somewhat resembling my acid problems are more common when the sinuses are acting up, which is why I kind of question if it is my sinuses.

Also the areas of the nodes becoming sore worries me, because it is a similar pain to that of my headaches, just in the areas on my neck. I'm not too sure if the infection I believe I had is gone, would this area be bothering me if it wasnt an infection? Or would something gastro-related cause these symptoms too? Or does that SCM thing make more sense?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

For your sinuses, try irrigating sinuses every morning and night with a homemade solution of salt and baking soda. This is a great sinus drano!! This was approved by my internist for me.

1 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon plain salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix well, strain thru clean paper coffee filter, put in clean nasal spray bottles, let COOL. To use, lie on bed on your back with head hanging off and squirt a 3 to 5 squirts of the salt solution in each nostril. Turn head side to side slowly while massaging the cheek bone area. Say KKKKKK while getting up to keep solution from running down throat. Blow nose gently as needed. (This will help wash out old gunk from the sinuses). Make fresh every week (no preservatives in this solution, don't keep more than 1 week)

If the throat problem is due to allergy and/or sinus drainage, take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon plain Robitussin before bed, no drinks after. This will help keep mucous thinned during the night.

I am not a medical professionasl, speaking from experience only.

Closed Thread