It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

KissIt HB User
Question small hole in tonsils

there was something white stuck in my right tonsil, i finally coughed it up...but now there's a small hole there....will it go away? Is that a problem?

Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
(female)

corricatt HB User
Re: small hole in tonsils

Gargle frequently with very warm, very salty water. As often as you can.

Tonsils can be like the lining of your intestines. Diverticulitis is when a tiny particle of food, like a sesame seed, gets trapped in a fold and becomes infected. (this happens to my daughters' tonsils)

Perhaps this is what happened with your tonsils. If what came from the tonsil was a small infection and your "hole" is the lesion left behind, the salt water gargling will help immeasurably.

Call your doctor, too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

jenniferc16 HB User

I have these too. They are called tonsil stones (look it up). Very common, nothing to worry about. If you have what I have, the stuff that came up was not an infection but just remaining food particles. The hole in the tonsil is not an effect of the stone, was probably always there.

I mentioned this to my doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about. Not treatable, some people remove their tonsils out of concern about bad breath. Just mouthwash frequently. Everybody's different though. You may want to mention this to your doctor.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I used to get these on and off and had one the majority of the time for about a year or so when I lived in a different state. Strangely enough, when I moved, they went away and I maybe get a tonsil stone twice a year or only once. They used to be very painful and would give me bad sore throats. One doctor told me I had strep, but the medicine did not make it go away, so I'm pretty sure they made a mistake. The second doctor said it could be allergies. Sounds like none quite knew much about tonsil stones, so I looked up the info myself on the internet. I'm not sure, but maybe allergies made them worse once they started. I could pretty much scrape it off with my finger (now I have pretty much no gag reflex from doing that!), but sometimes it would bleed and would just come back quickly.

I agree to gargle with salt water or mouthwash. It seems to really help and can help with the pain too. I used to use those numbing throat sprays and they were about the only thing that helped with the pain, but it never lasted. Sometimes I would have some sugar free throat drops throughout the day. I think the hole in my throat got a little smaller or something, so I'm not getting them as often.

Good luck!! I hope yours go away too!

Closed Thread