It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

Scimitar529 HB User
Exclamation Winter is here, and with it comes pain.

Hopefully this is nothing to worry about, but for whatever reason, both of my legs hurt around the knee and thigh area. At first, it was just my left leg and that for seemingly no reason at all. First, I hurt the area above my knee by dropping a can on it, and then I'm pretty sure it started hurting a couple days later.

It's, pardon the overly used term, a dull ache in my left leg which rarely if ever extends down past the knee. It has stayed, for the most part, around the knee and above it, all the way up to the very top of my hip, but those far reaching pains feel sharper, as if a nerve was stimulated and the pain carried it up. These are also rare feelings.

I've been like this for about a week, I think, but recently, my other leg has started to hurt as well. It's more of a traditional ache as opposed to my other leg, almost like muscle soreness, in fact. Despite this difference, it does seem to encompass the same area, just without the nerve type pain. Anyway, when this was all brought on, I hadn't particularly injured myself or anything like that. I don't even move around too terribly much in an exercise sense. Oh, it should also be noted that I have had pains in the pit of my left leg, for whatever reason. The area around where the can hit is obviously bruised but with no visible demarcation. Also, when absently probing the area with my tea cup earlier, I noticed that the bruised sensation seems to go up my thigh a small ways from the impact site.

What I want to know is could this have been brought on by a pressure change because of a cold front, or is it a circulatory problem? Or something else? I ask about the circulatory problem because I've been experiencing some pulses in my knees, just like I feel rarely when I've been sitting down too long. If there's anything anyone knows about this type of sensation, I would *love* to hear about it. I'm 20 years old and have had no history of health problems in the past. I'm healthy and thin and fairly muscular, so I don't have a clue what could be wrong.

Puh-leeze, somebody, give me an answer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Winter is here, and with it comes pain.

If you've badly bruised your left leg, then the swelling could make all sorts of things sore. Have you tried icing the bruise? It should get better as the bruise fades, but if it starts getting worse, or doesn't seem to be getting better, you definitely want a doctor to look at it. Gently moving your leg might make it better, doing anything demanding (even, possibly, walking a lot) is probably a bad idea.

As far as the pain in your unbruised leg: Have you been limping since you hurt yourself? Even a little bit? Or favoring the injury when you go upstairs, maybe? From my own experience with leg injuries, that sort of thing will put a lot of strain on the quadriceps muscle, the one at the front of your thigh. That could possibly be the cause of pain in your right leg. Also, stretching the quadriceps might help. I can't quite describe a quad stretch, but you should be able to find pictures pretty easily.

Good luck dealing with all this. Just remember, the possible answers I offered are the simplest, easiest to deal with possibilities. If the simple answers don't seem adequate, do get it a doctor to look at it. Unless you have arthritis, or a serious injury in the past, cold weather is not a reason for your legs to hurt.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
(male)

Scimitar529 HB User

Ah, I see. Thank you for responding. As an answer to your question, it's not a very bad bruise, but it is somewhat bruised. While my legs do hurt, though, to tell you the truth, today, most of the pain has been in my knees. I remember when this first came up, that very first day, both of my knees hurt quite a bit but, after that, the pain was restricted to my left knee.

It should also be mentioned that I was diagnosed with a sinus infection several weeks ago. I'm not sure if I actually had a sinus infection, but it was the only thing the doctor could think of. The symptoms didn't involve any real nose drainage, but I was and, apparently even to the day, congested. It all started with a headache, but not normal one. The pain was all over - in the sides of my head, in the back, the top, the base of my skull. Next day, I noticed twinges in my forehead and my inner ears hurt off and on, and that previous night, my brain felt too big for my head.

Well, after treatment with decongestants and an antibiotic, I'm still congested, it seems, and I'm not sure the antibiotic helped because I was already getting better. Even still, this many weeks later, I still have a faint pain in the back of my head and, from time to time, pains in the sides and top.

Hmm, I seem to have forgotten the point in drawing this connection between the two things... But... If that's at all related, I hope it could help. I know you're probably not a doctor yourself, but I've already been to my doctor twice and, both times, I've been told to take more decongestants. And since the cold probably isn't related at all, I'm wondering if there could be some link. Also, I haven't been limping and I can move around just fine with both my legs - running, walking, jumping, and all of that doesn't seem to make the pain worse.

So if cold or pressure changes in the air aren't the answer, what about Winter Aches? I've heard of those, but I'm not sure who gets them or what causes them but, if even that isn't it, would you happen to have any idea what, disregarding all the other information, could make someone's knees hurt? In closing, the other night, the pain almost completely jumped from one leg to the other for an hour or two and today both my knees are feeling somewhat better. I just hope there won't be a relapse if this clears up all by itself. Anyway, thanks for responding.

Last edited by Scimitar529; 11-25-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I can't really think of too many reasons why someone's knees would hurt, but the pain not get worse with activity, at least temporarily.

Hope it stays better.

Closed Thread