It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2002, 01:04 PM   #1

o0princessjess0o HB User
Question Can waiting too long to go to the bathroom be harmful to your health?

I need to know what kind health hazards people, especially younger people, teens for example, are at risk of having if they wait too long to go pee. Are there any hazards?

Old 10-17-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

tcb0609 HB User
If you need to go to the bathroom, don't wait. From what I understand, holding it for a long time on a frequent basis can cause kidney/bladder infections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2002, 07:05 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yes it can cause a buildup of bacteria in the bladder which can lead to Urinary Tract Infections. Always be sure to drink plenty of water help flush out bacteria and do not resist the urge to urinate.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:57 PM   #4

SoniGailGordon HB User
Smile

If I wait to go urinate it causes me to burn and that is not worth the waiting. So when you have to go pee please go ASAP.
Soni

Old 11-27-2002, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Here's something I went through. I was waiting all day to empty. Then I got this burning back pain. Went to the doctor for it. Ended up my bladder had forgotten how to contract from holding my urine, and had started backing up into my kiddneys. What a mess!!!
Had to wear a foley cath. bag stapped to my leg for two weeks. And take medicine to make my bladder contract!! Ouchy!!!! I was very lucky that I hadn't gotten any kind of infection. I still to this day have bladder spasms that are sharp enough to stop me in my tracks!! And this happen 2 1/2 yrs ago. At least it empties now, where before it just felt like I needed too, but couldn't.
I worry about my daughter in school that isn't allowed to go when needed, she says they only get 2passes per Quarter, and a 6 min. break once a day, and the lines are too long if your going to make it to class on time. Really ticks me off!! Diana

Old 11-27-2002, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Angry

I remember that trying to find time to go in junior high and high school was very difficult due to the short passing periods combined with the bathroom locations and the crowded halls. Teachers were used to students who abused bathroom priviledges, so they were often jerks about letting us go.
I complained to my mom, and she and my dad offered to raise hell. I was too embarrassed, since I hadn't had a specific problem, so we made a deal. They told me to go to the restroom whenever I needed to, whether I had to leave class or be late. They promised that if I got in trouble, they would back me, and we would challenge the policy together.
I never had to challenge the policy (though I probably should've for the sake of all the students who are facing the same problem I faced), but I felt much better about everything after I talked with my parents. I made a point NOT to hold it, and I think it has made me a more secure person to know that my parents were there for me - whether the issue was grades, activities, or bathroom breaks.
Hope you liked my reminiscence.

Old 11-27-2002, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Hi again, I wanted to say that I told my daughter I wasn't too happy that she wasn't going all day, especially after the trouble I went through. But your story makes me think that I should tell her I would back her up if she needs the break, thanks for the info. Diana

Old 12-02-2002, 10:16 AM   #8
Inactive

theoldmen HB User
if you wait to long you might have an accident.

Closed Thread