It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2002, 08:20 AM   #1

Poseidon752 HB User
Question Low Body Temperature

Hi All,

Ok, so I'm fairly sure this isn't a big issue but I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone had any thoughts. I've been told that the normal human body temperature should be 98.6. Except when I'm running a fever my temperature has never been that (at least not recently.) Ive had a cold the past few days so Ive been checking my temperature and of the last two times once it was 96.9 the second time it was 97.3 Is this normal?

Old 12-13-2002, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran

Pinkroses HB User
The body temp. can vary slightly. Its normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2002, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Normal body temperature does vary from person to person and from hour to hour. However, consistently low body temperature is a sign of thyroid problems. Do you have some other symptoms of low thyroid? [easily fatigued, cold when everyone else is hot, slow wound healing, weight gain, dry skin, brittle nails, easily get infections and sinus/ear infections] These often develop slowly so if you have only mild symptoms now watch for them getting worse.

The best time to take your temperature is right after you wake up in the morning and before you get out of bed or move much (when you are not sick of course). This is called your basal temperature. Put the thermometer in your mouth and leave it there for 5 minutes before taking a reading. If your average body temperature is lower than 97.8 (do it over a few days to get an average) you have a slow metabolism and should have a thyroid test.

[This message has been edited by orion (edited 12-14-2002).]

Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #4

sunigirl HB User
Re: Low Body Temperature

Orion, that is good information. Doctors never tell me any of that stuff when I see them. I have been on Synthroid for 12 years (I had my thyroid removed). Occasionally, I have had to increase my medication because of the exact symptoms you listed above with the exception of weight gain. However, I always have a body temperature of 97.1. Sometimes even 96.7 or so. Never, ever a normal 98.6 temperature unless I am sick. If I get to 99.0 I know that I am actually "running a fever" and I am sick.

I am a personal trainer and teach spinning in the gym that I own. My metabolism is really fast, and even without aerobic exercise, I have always been able to keep weight off and stay thin. So I am wondering how I could have a "normal" or even fast metabolism and stilll have such a low body temperature. Considering I take my medication every day.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate the insight. Thanks, Sunigirl

Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #5

sunigirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigirl
Orion, that is good information. Doctors never tell me any of that stuff when I see them. I have been on Synthroid for 12 years (I had my thyroid removed). Occasionally, I have had to increase my medication because of the exact symptoms you listed above with the exception of weight gain. However, I always have a body temperature of 97.1. Sometimes even 96.7 or so. Never, ever a normal 98.6 temperature unless I am sick. If I get to 99.0 I know that I am actually "running a fever" and I am sick.

I am a personal trainer and teach spinning in the gym that I own. My metabolism is really fast, and even without aerobic exercise, I have always been able to keep weight off and stay thin. So I am wondering how I could have a "normal" or even fast metabolism and stilll have such a low body temperature. Considering I take my medication every day.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate the insight. Thanks, Sunigirl

Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #6

99problems HB User

Body temp varies a degree either way and is considered normal. Febrile is temp above 99.6 F. That is correct, your temp changes throughout the day dependent on what you are doing. I wouldnt be alarmed.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Besides, studies have shown that the old 98.6 isn't very accurate. Recent studies have shown that 98.0 is a more accurate average.
I struggle with hypothyroidism too. When I have a raging fever (or at least it feels like it), my temp is around 99.
Barb

Closed Thread