It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
(male)

Stunnav81 HB User
mystery illness

My girlfriend has been ill for about three weeks her symptoms are abdominal pain, nausea (she has been put on a clear liquid diet but she can't keep that down either) and she is always exhuasted and sleepy, but the doctors cant figure it out....any ideas her bloodwork has been sent off several times and still no answer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: mystery illness

I'm glad she went to the doctor. They are probably saying a *virus* which is what doctors always say when they don't know something.

I'm no doctor, but what about appendicitis, gallstones, colitis or something like that? I would take her to a gastroenterologist if she doesn't get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
(male)

Stunnav81 HB User

She has gone to see a GI Dr. However they have no definate answer either, they did mention the virus situation or the possibility of colon cancer. I'm worried however due to the long wait between visits almost a month for the next test then another month before the next visit, becuase the fact she can't eat anything and keep it down hardly besides water and broth type soup and the pain she is in. I've been reading alot an colon cancer seems to be extremly rare in persons of her age as she is 20. The Dr. did get her worried about the possibility of a virus that was as he explained eating away at her insides, she has been in contact with a person that had just returned from africa that was very ill that passed away from a mystery illness as well.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

CattyID HB User

Dr's beat all I have ever seen and I have seen plenty. IF your girlfriend cannot eat and is that sick you would think they would put her in the hospital to make sure she was hydrated at least . Insurance company's will not let the Dr's put you in the hospital now unless it is a dire emergency...if you can be treated as an outpatient then that is what the insurance co. want the Dr's to do.
She does need to keep herself hydrated. That is very important.
Can she drink something like Ensure or Boost or Gatorade?
Good luck to her!
Catty~

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, there are doctors who specialize in illnesses originating abroad, "travel doctors" and whatnot. If her symptoms are similar to the dead African traveler's, that might be a useful option.

Closed Thread