It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 04:00 AM   #1

sleepystar HB User
Post what should your blood pressure and pulse be?

please could someone tell me?

Old 01-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

This is really going to be different from person to person and it depends on age, sex, weight and how fit you are too, but as a general rule of thumb normal blood pressure is considered to be 120/80. This is text book blood pressure though and can vary throughout the day, depending on whether you are stressed.

Normal pulse rate is considered to be between 70 to 80 beats per minute, however this will vary with stress and exercise throughout the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
I started asking the nurse (at whichever doctor's office I was currently at) about my readings each time she took my blood pressure and pulse. (In my opinion, they should automatically tell you what the readings are, but that's just me.)

After doing this at every doctor's over a period of a few months, it became clear what normal blood pressure and pulse readings are for me. Now, if I go to the doctor, and the pulse or blood pressure is quite a bit off from my normal readings, I ask them to take it again and/or we discuss why the readings may be different than normal.

This is a very unscientific method of deciding what an average blood pressure and pulse reading is for you as an individual. Obviously, if you're consistently way off from the 120/80 blood pressure and 70-80 pulse that's considered the norm, it's worth discussing with your doctor. Also, if you go to the doctor, and your readings are very different than normal, that's another hint that you should have a conversation with the doctor.

I think you might feel most comfortable knowing your individual average since not everyone's readings fit the "norm". Even if they don't fit the norm, it doesn't necessarily mean you're unhealthy- it just means your should double check with your doctor that your average readings are okay for you.

Also, if you get nervous at the doctor's (I do), remember that your readings may be a little higher than they would be at home or somewhere where you're comfortable.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread