It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2003, 07:11 AM   #1

Janet007 HB User
Question lump on shin

i am a 30 year old female. about 5-6 months ago i noticed a lump on my left shin. i checked it out every once in a while, and lately i noticed that it appears to have gotten bigger. it's in the middle of my shin growing in a diagonal direction, it's about 3 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. it's definately growing longer and wider, instead of growing out (protruding), but it is raised. i went to the dr. a few weeks ago, they did blood work, looked fine, took an x-ray, nothing was on it. they said to keep an eye on it. i have also been extremely tired, worn out, really feeling unwell. should i ask if they could do a biopsy, or other tests? what could it be? i was worried possibly cancer. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
janet
p.s.
when they gave me my results over the phone and they said that there was nothing on the x-ray, i asked why, there is a lump on it, the nurse said something like that wouldn'y show up on an x-ray. should they be doing other tests?

Old 05-07-2003, 08:30 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to call your docs office and the nurse what the doc feels is the cause of your lump. Yes I think it should have shown up on the x-ray even if it was a cyst. If it is moveable and rather soft I would think it sounds like a cyst but that is just an opinion since I am not a doc. Since you are feeling run down you do need to go back to see the doc for a complete physical and workup to find out what is going on. In the mean time you should switch to a better quality mulitvitamin if the one your currently take is not a good quality vitamin. Also if you are not currently taking an antioxidant supplement you would be wise to add this along with your multivitamin. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
Re: lump on shin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgable
You need to call your docs office and the nurse what the doc feels is the cause of your lump. Yes I think it should have shown up on the x-ray even if it was a cyst. If it is moveable and rather soft I would think it sounds like a cyst but that is just an opinion since I am not a doc. Since you are feeling run down you do need to go back to see the doc for a complete physical and workup to find out what is going on. In the mean time you should switch to a better quality mulitvitamin if the one your currently take is not a good quality vitamin. Also if you are not currently taking an antioxidant supplement you would be wise to add this along with your multivitamin. Good Luck.
I have the SAME thing on my leg as well. It is not movable and soft but hard as a rock...feels like bone. Does not hurt when I press on it, but near there it hurts a little in the muscle. Not sure what it could be, but scared it is cancer!

Old 01-10-2004, 07:34 AM   #4

JenBrooke123 HB User

Well first off, I would maybe get a second opinion. You never said how the lump felt, is ist hard? soft and movable? There are many different types of lumps, and not all are cancer. I have lumps that don't show up on X-ray or sonograms. There called Lipomas, benign fatty tumors. Or you could have a cyst. Really, though I would get a second opinion, maybe see a surgen, they deal with lumps all the time. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet007
i am a 30 year old female. about 5-6 months ago i noticed a lump on my left shin. i checked it out every once in a while, and lately i noticed that it appears to have gotten bigger. it's in the middle of my shin growing in a diagonal direction, it's about 3 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. it's definately growing longer and wider, instead of growing out (protruding), but it is raised. i went to the dr. a few weeks ago, they did blood work, looked fine, took an x-ray, nothing was on it. they said to keep an eye on it. i have also been extremely tired, worn out, really feeling unwell. should i ask if they could do a biopsy, or other tests? what could it be? i was worried possibly cancer. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
janet
p.s.
when they gave me my results over the phone and they said that there was nothing on the x-ray, i asked why, there is a lump on it, the nurse said something like that wouldn'y show up on an x-ray. should they be doing other tests?
Do you play sports( soccer, etc.) Do sit in a place where your shin is repeatedly pressed against a hard surface. Do you have a tendency to nudge doors with your leg. ( a habit of mine when I was carrying a toddler around in my arms.)

Old 01-10-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
Do you play sports( soccer, etc.) Do sit in a place where your shin is repeatedly pressed against a hard surface. Do you have a tendency to nudge doors with your leg. ( a habit of mine when I was carrying a toddler around in my arms.)
My lump is not even noticable unless I run my had over my shin. It does not stick out, but it feels like bone. Hard as a rock. I would call it a "hump" on my shin then a noticable lump per say. It does not move at all.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
My lump is not even noticable unless I run my had over my shin. It does not stick out, but it feels like bone. Hard as a rock. I would call it a "hump" on my shin then a noticable lump per say. It does not move at all.
I went to my Dr. today and good news! It's not cancer! He said he see's these bumps all the time and mine has stayed the same so there is not any need to worry! He said to watch it and see if it grows, and if it does then we will take care of it then. There was no need for us to worry!

Closed Thread