It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #1

gcreature HB User
Question knot on the back of the neck

My friend has a large knot on the back of his neck. He said it started out the size of a pimple a couple of years ago and now it looks like he has a marble under his skin. And of corse being a guy he won't go unless hes wheeled in...lol...He has no pain with it, but it truely concerns me. Please let me know if you have any ideas that I can pass along to him.
Thanx soo much and have a great day!!
G.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
If it's not too hard and it can move with the skin it could be a lump of fat. I can't remember the name of it, but many people get them. I think it's fat in the tissue area. If that's what it is it's nothing life threatening, however, I recommend him be seen just to make sure it's nothing serious. Actually, I believe the name is Lipoma. Try doing a search under that and see if you can find anything. Good luck to you and your friend. Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Susannah HB User
The name of what the last poster was talking about is a lipoma. Normally, they say if you can squish it at all, then it's a lipoma (unless it's where a lymph node should be, then it's probably a lymph node). I don't think there are lymph nodes in the area you are describing, you might want to check out an anatomy book from a library or look at an online copy of Gray's Anatomy to be sure. I've got a lipoma behind my ear. They also say that if you have one lipoma, you will be prone to others. Also, there's a type of cyst you can get called a ganglion. My dad gets these on his wrist. They just puncture them to get rid of them, but they feel pretty hard while they're there, even though they're just fluid. Another possibility is a calcification, which sometimes your body gets confused and puts calcium in the wrong spot. It would probably be good for him to get it checked out, but usually if it's just one spot in isolation, the doctors don't worry about it too much, unless it's causing him pain or discomfort. There are things they can do to get rid of all of the conditions I listed, so if it bothers him at all, he might want to see if he can get it removed. Lipomas and ganglions are especially easy to get rid of.

Susannah

Closed Thread