It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2001, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Angry Picking problem

ok,

This is probably going to sound completely off the wall to you guys, but I have this picking problem. I pick the skin around my thumbs until I bleed.......I love peeling the skin off, but it hurts. Also, I pick my chapped lips constantly.......until the point that I bleed. It just is so cool to pick and when you get a long peice of skin..........it's just so cool.

Am I the only one with this obsession of picking my lips until the point I bleed as well as the skin on my thumbs? This isn't a joke........I really need to know if this is normal.........and I also want to know if I'm the only one with this sick obsession.........

Thanks,
Stefanie

Old 12-07-2001, 03:42 PM   #2

Brookej HB User
This picking problem doesn't sound normal to me. Mabey it is common and I am just unaware of it but I sure don't do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2001, 11:07 PM   #3

1stBarbi HB User
Hi - I am not a doctor but in my opinion it sounds like a compulsive/obsessive problem and you need to talk to your doctor about it and get some help.
You might try to get those rubber covers that a lot of cooks and food workers use on their fingers and thumbs to at least keep you from getting at it & take them off at night to help them breath and heal.
But you really need to see someone about this problem.
God bless,
Barbi

Old 12-08-2001, 02:28 PM   #4

windcaller HB User
I don't think it is normal. You should go see a doctor.

Old 12-10-2001, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
thanks for all the posts........

It's really nice that you all take time out of your busy lives to write back to a whacko!!!
thanks........I just wanted to know if I should see a doctor or not......you guys convinced me that maybe it's time...

thanks and much graditude!
Stefanie

Old 12-12-2001, 03:39 PM   #6

SCgal HB User
My BF picks the skin around his fingers and it drives me nuts. I dont think he does it because he thinks its cool though. I asked him once why he did it and he said it was a habit. Something he started doing at a bad time in his life and now he cant stop. Its not as bad as my habit..lol...which he also hates..so i guess we just have to deal with the habits. Atleast for now.

Old 12-13-2001, 07:33 AM   #7
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
SCgal,

thanks so much for replying....thanks for the info. I can defenetly relate. It just becomes a habbit, and you start to do it without even thinking.....

I really am trying to make a conscience effort to stop....it's hard though!

JUST ANOTHER BAD HABBIT TO TRY TO BREAK.
I figure that if I can stop smoking cold turkey....I can do anything!

Thanks again,
Stefanie

Old 12-13-2001, 11:12 PM   #8

Fanny HB User
Lightbulb

Hey. I have nails that break real easy and sometimes it will get a snag and I will pick at it until I pull it all the way off. It hurts and it goes down on the sides of my nails and makes them bleed. I don't know why I do it either. I have done it as far back as I can remember. If the skin gets dry I do it too. One suggestion. Try to keep lotion near by and put it on your hands and exspecially your nail when ever you think about it. Keep some chap stick with you at all times and keep it on. Maybe if the skin doesn't get dry or cracked you will adventually leave it alone. That is what I have been trying. good luck. . .

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif

[This message has been edited by Fanny (edited 12-14-2001).]

Old 01-02-2002, 05:08 PM   #9
Inactive

yeehaw HB User
O.k. I must confess... I pick my lip too--but only when they start to get chapped and a teeny little piece gets rough and starts sticking up and I can feel it against my top lip...it drives me crazy...it's got to go. That's how it starts, but sometimes I do keep trying to peel off increasingly larger flakes, to the point of hurting my lip! It's kind of gruesome, but compelling in a way. --Yeah, obsessive/compulsive. It's kind of like picking pimples, blackheads, etc... sometimes I do that too. I just have this compulsion to be perfect and smoothe and if anything's sticking up, it's GOT TO GO! (How it's going to look later is not a concern when I'm in the middle of a pickfest!)

Despite of what most of the other posters think, you probably don't need professional help--just self discipline and 'grace under pressure' if that's when you find yourself picking. It's a compulsion and not a very healthy one, but there are lots of worse ones! Try to wean yourself--stop before it bleeds whenever possible. For your lips, try Carmex lip balm--it's better than anything I've tried if used consistantly (and it's $1.29 a tube). For your fingers, the glove solution is probably most likely to help...and use them while sleeping after applying some kind of medicated ointment to speed healing.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2002, 07:51 AM   #10
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Yeehaw,

Thanks....you are a sweetie!!

Stefanie

Old 01-09-2002, 08:05 AM   #11

Lisa35 HB User
This is funny to me because I chew on my lip constantly. And the feeling that you describe is exactly how I feel.... when you get a really long piece of skin. It's so gross but very satisfying. I think I do it when there's stress and I'm worrying about something. Whenever my husband sees me doing this, he slaps my mouth now (not hard at all) and it makes me stop for a minute, then I'll do it again. Maybe some day his method of slapping my mouth will work.

Not sure how to stop though. I've tried and can't. I also have an obsession with craking my knuckles, especially my thumbs and I can't stop doing it or my fingers ache.

Anybody crack your knuckles and how did you stop?

Old 01-09-2002, 02:23 PM   #12

bitterglitter HB User
I do both, but I don't usually do it until I bleed. I try really hard not to...especially with the nails.
One thing that I do is I pick at everything on my skin, like pimples or dry skin, I even do it on my boyfriend. At first he thought it was weird, but now he used to it, because I'm always grooming him. (Like a Monkey??)

I think it's funny. I don't think it's psycho at all....but I try to avoid going overboard and bleeding.

Kat

Old 01-11-2002, 02:53 PM   #13

Gorlim HB User
we are all masochist and sadist to a degree....

Old 01-11-2002, 04:25 PM   #14
Inactive

Kopoli HB User
I don't think your problem is abnormal. I too pick the skin around my nails, and my mother does as well! Perhaps it is a genetic thing, perhaps a minor compulsory thing.. whatever the case, it's not easy to stop because most of the time I do it I'm not aware. I have recently purchased avacado oil for the cuticle area to keep the skin constantly moisturized, so that the skin is not tempting and dry.. you know, ripe for picking! This has helped, although not 100%, but it's a start. I'm also trying to find other things to do to occupy my hands, so that they don't constantly return to the problem areas. Atleast you understand it as a problem, so you're obviously willing to try and stop doing it. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2002, 09:10 PM   #15

kitkatkit HB User
I chew my lips...It's just another habit like nail biting...I just have to be careful and pay attn when i start doing it...With a little work you should be able to overcome the urges to pick...

Closed Thread