It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
Post Sickness from mice

I have noticed mouse droppings in our house and can't seem to catch any mice with mouse traps. I am not only disgusted at the idea that they are in here, but I am also concerned they could make my children sick just by being here. Can they? My daughter has been complaining of a stomach ache for a couple of days and today a sore throat, but another girl in the neighborhood did too, last week, so it could just be that. What do you think?

Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Why are you using mouse traps? Why not use the boxes or poison or the sticky tape type mouse catchers to eliminate them? Unless the mice have a disease I don't know that they would be making you sick. One thing you may want to consider if you are concerned about your kids getting sick etc is to switch your toxic chemical cleaners and laundry products to more enviromentally friendly ones as toxic chemicals can make people sick without them realizing it. Also be sure your child uses a good antioxidant supplement along with the daily multivitamin so they don't catch everything that comes along.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
I have never heard of the sticky tape mouse catcher. I'll have to look into that. The poison makes me nervous because I also have a 19 month old daughter. I know I keep the traps away from her anyway, but it still makes me nervous. I also worried about the mouse or mice dying and then starting to decompose before being able to find it. So, I thought the logical thing would be traps. I've never had mice before, I just assumed traps worked. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Traps do work. We used to put white chocolate on them instead of cheese and it worked. The sticky mouse traps seem to work. Poison is bad, though, because they will crawl away and die. And you have to leave it where they will go which means that kids can get into it too.

Mice do carry illnesses. Their droppings are dangerous. They carry a fatal virus called hantavirus. It is a respiratory illness, though, not a stomach virus. If you do find their droppings, you should spray them with lysol or something similar, before you mess with them. Do whatever you can not to breathe in the droppings. It's actually in the urine, but they kinda come together.

Your daughter's illness is probably something else. It's the time of year when kids are going to start taking germs to school and bringing other ones home.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
I actually caught a mouse today. Now do mice travel together or is it possible this was the only one?

Old 10-15-2003, 07:44 AM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You may have more than one mouse so keep using the traps but bait it with peanut butter or as I said look into the sticky paper type traps. We use those at the nursing home I work at. Also if you have thought about getting a pet you may want to consider a cat as they are usually good mouse catcher although my cat just likes to play with them and they wind up dying from sheer fright factor and not because the cat killed them.

Closed Thread