It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Exclamation Looking for answers to help a friend

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice to help a friend today. She has a lump that is concerning both her and I. She told me it has been about the size of a pea for about two years now. It is located in her groin region on her inner thigh.

Here's the big problem, over the last two or three weeks, it has blown up to the size of a plum. It is very hard, can't really squish/squeeze it. It is right under the surface and can still be rolled around a little.

She went to the doctor to seek some medical advice. The doctor said it could be a cyst, infection, or tumor. She also has Cervical cancer which leads me to believe that it may possibly be a tumor. The doctor sent her to a surgeon to set up an appointment to get it removed and biopsied. Unfortunately, she was rejected by the surgeon because she has no insurance and her medical card for some reason is no good and she has to go through some mess to get it fixed.

She wanted to remove it herself, but thank God I talked her out of that. I explained to her the risk of bleeding to death, serious infection, etc.

How do I help her? I'm concerned that this may be serious and needs to be acted on soon.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
-Vers

Old 12-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Re: Looking for answers to help a friend

Does no one care to help? I'm seriously stressed about this. I really care about my friend. If you have any advice at all, even just a little....it's really important to me. PLEASE.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
(female)

zeytun HB User

Wow...that sounds pretty bad. I'm not really sure what I can suggest to help directly (especially with the insurance problem) but I think that, since she is in such a bad condition, she needs to try and keep her body as healthy as possible. Umm...I'm not saying that she should do what I'm going to suggest but it might help her if she sticks to it. She can try and go for a raw-vegan diet (at least for maybe a few months or so). This summer I got really sick and I mean really really sick. The doctors didn't want to give me tests or anything to see what was wrong with me because I was too young for the tests (and what they were suggesting that I had was pretty bad too) so I decided that I should do something on my own to solve the problem and that's basically what I did along with some other things. It worked and now I feel better than ever (although it took a while to get better) but it was better than "going under the knife." I'm going to look at some books right now to see if I can find something about lumps and stuff ok??? I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

zeytun HB User

Here's a little quote I got on Tumors from the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Blanch, C.N.C. book:

"A tumor is a swelling or abnormal growth of tissue that has no useful function in the body. Tumors may be either benign or malignant (cancerous). Benign tumors are isolated growths that can occur anywhere in the body. They generally do not pose a threat to health, do not spread to other parts of the body, and do not grow back if they are removed. Polyps and uterine fibroids are examples of benign tumors.

Unlike benign tumors, malignant tumors are usually a serious, even life-threatening, health problem. They tend to grow uncontrollably, interfere with normal metabolic or organ functioning, and spread to other parts of the body. They are also likely to recur after surgical removal.

Environmental factors and diet seem to play an important role in the development of tumors of all types. Tumors have been known to decrease in size and even disappear in response to dietary changes and supplementation with vitamins and minerals. The suggestions here are designed to enhance immune function and suppress the growth of tumors - both benign and malignant."

And then there is a list of supplements and other suggestions bellow that. let me know if you want them too, ok???

Last edited by zeytun; 12-14-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeytun View Post
Here's a little quote I got on Tumors from the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Blanch, C.N.C. book:

"A tumor is a swelling or abnormal growth of tissue that has no useful function in the body. Tumors may be either benign or malignant (cancerous). Benign tumors are isolated growths that can occur anywhere in the body. They generally do not pose a threat to health, do not spread to other parts of the body, and do not grow back if they are removed. Polyps and uterine fibroids are examples of benign tumors.

Unlike benign tumors, malignant tumors are usually a serious, even life-threatening, health problem. They tend to grow uncontrollably, interfere with normal metabolic or organ functioning, and spread to other parts of the body. They are also likely to recur after surgical removal.

Environmental factors and diet seem to play an important role in the development of tumors of all types. Tumors have been known to decrease in size and even disappear in response to dietary changes and supplementation with vitamins and minerals. The suggestions here are designed to enhance immune function and suppress the growth of tumors - both benign and malignant."

And then there is a list of supplements and other suggestions bellow that. let me know if you want them too, ok???
Yes, I would like them. Anything that could possibly help until we find out exactly what it is or until there is money to do surgery.

Thanks so much for responding.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Quote:
Wow...that sounds pretty bad. I'm not really sure what I can suggest to help directly (especially with the insurance problem) but I think that, since she is in such a bad condition, she needs to try and keep her body as healthy as possible. Umm...I'm not saying that she should do what I'm going to suggest but it might help her if she sticks to it. She can try and go for a raw-vegan diet (at least for maybe a few months or so). This summer I got really sick and I mean really really sick. The doctors didn't want to give me tests or anything to see what was wrong with me because I was too young for the tests (and what they were suggesting that I had was pretty bad too) so I decided that I should do something on my own to solve the problem and that's basically what I did along with some other things. It worked and now I feel better than ever (although it took a while to get better) but it was better than "going under the knife." I'm going to look at some books right now to see if I can find something about lumps and stuff ok??? I'll see what I can do.
Thank you SOOOOOO much!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
(female)

zeytun HB User

Personally, I would suggest that she stop eating meat and dairy for a little while (at least until this issue is solved and mostly the dairy). what the book has for "important" is garlic (2 capsules 3 times daily if she doesn't want stinky breath), coenzyme Q10 (100 mg daily), maitake/shiitake(I'm guessing that's the mushroom and it should be taken as directed on the label), vitamin C (3,000 to 10,000 mg daily in divided doses - I'm guessing that's so that the excess vitamins aren't excreted through the urine), zinc (30 to 80 mg daily - don't exceed 100 mg daily though), and shark cartilage (1 gm per 2 lbs. of body weight daily divided into 3 doses - some people can't tolerate it though so this one's a little iffy). I'll list the list of helpful items in a little bit. Also, each item has a comment about how it is supposed to help. Do you want those too?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
(female)

zeytun HB User

I'm just curious but what has she done about the cancer??? How far has the cancer progressed and how long has she been diagnosed with it??? And about helping...no problem...but don't forget that these are just suggestions and that there is not quick fix.

Also, please let me know if your friend wants to try the raw-vegan diet. There are a lot of things that I had to exclude from my diet so it's not what is generally viewed on, say, the internet. For example, I consumed no salt or spices and not peanuts, cashews, or other legumes along with not consuming a myriad of other things.

Last edited by zeytun; 12-14-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
(female)

zeytun HB User

Here is something that I just read about cancer and supplements from a Reader's Digest book called "Foods That Harm Foods That Heal: an A-Z Guide to Safe and Healthy Eating":

"Millions of Americans take vitamin and mineral supplements, often in high doses and without consulting a doctor. Recent reports detailing the anticancer effects of antioxidants have resulted in greatly increased sales of high-dose supplements of beta-carotene and vitamins A, C, and E. In theory, it is reasonable to assume that if a small amount of a nutrient protects against caner, then a high dose should be even more protective. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be true. When consumed in the amounts that are generally found in foods, these nutrients do have an antioxidant effect, which prevents the potentially caner-causing damage that occurs when the body burns oxygen. But when taken in the form of high-dose supplements, these substances may have an opposite effect; recent research indicates they may become pro-oxidants and may actually increase damage caused by free radicals, the unstable molecules released when the body burns oxygen. In addition, high doses of vitamin A can lead to toxicity.

The situation may be quite different, however, for patients who are undergoing cancer treatment. Some may need high-dose supplements, while others may be advised to avoid certain nutrients. This is why it's important to consult a registered dietitian or nutritionist regarding any dietary change and supplementation."

Last edited by zeytun; 12-14-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Quote:
I'm just curious but what has she done about the cancer??? How far has the cancer progressed and how long has she been diagnosed with it??? And about helping...no problem...but don't forget that these are just suggestions and that there is not quick fix.

Also, please let me know if your friend wants to try the raw-vegan diet. There are a lot of things that I had to exclude from my diet so it's not what is generally viewed on, say, the internet. For example, I consumed no salt or spices and not peanuts, cashews, or other legumes along with not consuming a myriad of other things.
She has had the cancerous cells both stripped away and burnt, but of course each time it has come back. She wanted to just get a full hysterectomy, but because she is only 22, and with the medical card issue, no doctor will do it...which angers me. She has been dealing with it for almost two years now. There is good possibility that it has spread...that's why I became so concerned when she showed me how big this lump is..and the fact that it is in her groin region (somewhat near the reproductive area).

She's big on holistic healing, so I'm sure she'd be happy to change her diet and take some vitamins/minerals if it will help her. I'll talk to her about some of the stuff you've said that might be helpful. If nothing else just to keep her from getting too much worse while figuring out how to pay to get all of this stuff done at the doctor.

Thanks again for offering some insight and helpful tips. I hope that maybe a diet change and some vitamins will do her some good with her health.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I hate to doubt your facts, because I'm here and you're there, so how can I say anything for sure ... but if she had cervical cancer, her uterus would have been removed, young age or not. At the very least, her cervix would have been removed. Doctors don't mess around with cancer; they don't just burn or scrape the cells away and hope for the best. She probably had something called "dysplasia", which can be precancerous, but is not cancer.

So... if all that is true, it's extremely unlikely that the current lump is cancerous. While I have a general distrust of doctors, who are not all as altruistic as we'd like to believe, I have doubts that any surgeon who suspected malignancy to let any patient - uninsured or not - to just hang out to dry.

In short, there are many conditions like your friend has that are not cancer. She may have a fatty cyst, for example, which is quite benign.
She should explore all the services that her community offers to the uninsured.

Closed Thread