It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
(male)

Schroddfather HB User
"Cold" feeling on left side

Here's an odd one for the group. I've been having a cold feeling on the left side. I've had some nerve pain on that side so figured I just had an irritated nerve. But, when I compared left and right sides by placing my hands on both, I noticed a definite difference in temperature. I feel this on my belly, outside left pectoral, and outside left leg and complete foot. Sometimes left arm.

My doctor says he can't feel a difference. But I'm sure that the left side is colder on the skin than the right. It's intermittent, and doesn't seem to proceed to anything worse. But it concerns me. Any insight?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: "Cold" feeling on left side

just a little tip for ya?i have what is called RSD and this also caused my right knee to become much much hotter than my left,i mean it was just generating tons of heat.one day while standing in line at the pharm counter at walgreens i noticed one of those little forehead type strip thermometers hanging there?i decided to buy it and just out of curiostiy,i placed it on my 'good' knee where it registered a below normal temp(not unusual for extremity) but when i placed this on the hot one,my god,it always ran between anywhere from 101 to 102,always.there was that much difference in the overall skin temps.you "could' possibly try this just to see if there is a possible real difference there.it works better when looking for hotter than normal but it could also indicate a colder than norm too.just one thought for you.another thing i wanted to ask is does this side just 'feel' to you like it is colder without touching the area or do YOU actually feel when you touch both that one side is actually colder?there IS a huge difference in what we can think we feel and what is actual when there is some level of spinal affectation going on,espescially if something is affecting our cords.i have the 'feeling' too in my left foot.it always "feels to me like its colder but when i touch it it is actually very warm at times.but it is in whats called our 'perceptions' of things that does this.do you have any type of c spine or any other spinal issues or have you had any spinal surgeries in the past?it just sounds like your particular perceptions may be off here.this could stem from spinal or even brain related issues.but it is most likely some level of actual neuro issue to some degree if that side just 'feels" to you like its colder but it really is normal?seeing a neurologist and even having a full spinal MRI could possibly reveal a problem.there is also the possibility of something congenital that is in your cord space.this was what started all my neuro freakiness.you just need to find out what is causing this.please keep me posted as to what you find out,K? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

Janet4571 HB User

Schroddfather --

I suggest you have an MRI on your head. I had an aunt that experienced some differences in temperatures relative to her right and left side. If she had her hands in dishwater, she noticed that the water felt hotter on one hand over the other. She also had some intermittent tingling and numbness on the same half of her body. Her doctor sent her for an MRI. She had a brain tumor. Unfortunately, it was very aggressive and she died. That was 17 years ago this month. With medical advances and when caught early, it could make a difference. I wouldn't wait if it were me. Please report back to this board on what you find out about your condition.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this could be any number of issues that can cause this perception but it does appear to be some level of actual neurological one.this could be something from the actual brain on down theu the c or T spine areas.getting that MRI from the brain thru the upper T spine would really help in either ruling something in or out as a possible reason.just get it evaluated.please let us know what you find out,K? FB

Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
(male)

Schroddfather HB User

Thanks for the responses peeps.

I had a CT scan about six months back and we looked at it again during my visit yesterday. Seems I have what is known as a "lumbar defect" in the lower back - one of my vertebrae is not long enough on the tail on one side. This could cause a pinched nerve.

However, the brain cancer thing scares me...not a lot, but a bit. I had an x-ray not so far back, and some mild cervical (as in, neck) arthritis was seen. Would these explain my symptoms?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

considering what the findings were just on plain x ray,it would really indicate a need to look a bit deeper with the MRI.you can have both the brain and the c spine done at the very same time.if you are showing signs of arthritis upon x ray,the chances that you could have some level of DDD(deteriorating disc disease)are much higher,alot of people have this as well as myself,this can just create some structural problems within the neck area that could also effect areas of the face and head since there are certain cranial/facial nerves that do come down from the head ito the lower c spine then loop back up into the head again.so if something were affecting the nerves in the c spine,you 'could" possibly be 'feeling "that in your face/head to some degree.i have facial problems that are directly connected to my c spine area too.the MRI would just show what is really going on within the brain and the c spine(down thru the actual cord level) that could be responsible for what you are feeling.it most definitely does appear to be some level of neuro type issue.you just have to look at the most likely areas to try and find the culprit.i really do think your next best step at this point would be the MRI,with contrast just because it really does help to highlight certain areas upon MRI that need better clarification than doing it without it.this is what i would really speak with your doc about.please keep us posted as to what you find out,K? FB

Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
(male)

Schroddfather HB User

Since I got some friendly feedback on this, I thought I'd provide some followup.

Got a referral to a neurologist from my primary care doc. She recommended an MRI with contrast and also an ultrasound of my neck arteries. The MRI showed no evidence of tumor (whew.) Neck arteries clear. The neurologist still thinks it's brain related but doesn't know what. I just saw her (the delay was my own fault) and didn't remember the things posted above. She's also recommending an electrocardiogram as the feeling is on the left side. I'll show up for that, and on the followup appointment bring in this thread for discussion. She had the MRI report but not the scans themselves; she's going to get those and take a look.

My guess is, it's some compressed nerves. That, I can deal with. I've got a little girl to raise, so as long as it's not fatal (or totally debilitating, for that matter) I'll just deal with it.

I should mention, it's been getting ever so slowly better over time. Can't say as I can explain that.

Closed Thread