It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

wisangel HB User
"Fruity"-smelling urine, other symptoms...but I'm not diabetic(??)

For the past 3 days, I've noticed a strong, "fruity" smell coming from my urine everytime I urinate. Being that I work in healthcare and have encountered this same smell before(in patient's urine), I know this could be a possible sign of diabetes. However, I am not diabetic and, up until now, had no reason to suspect I could be.

But there's another reason for my concern: since the middle of October, I have lost 23lbs......and not because I was trying to(although I needed to). See, I have narcolepsy and require daily medication for it. Well back on October 11th, my doctor changed my medication from Ritalin to Adderall, as I wasn't getting the desired effects from the Ritalin. Within 2 weeks of this switch, my weight dropped 7lbs...and has continued to drop at a rate of 2-3 lbs/week on average(from 179lbs in the beginning of October to 154lbs today, 12/22). I've also watched my appetite get smaller and smaller. Not to the point of starving; rather I'm just not as hungry or eating as much as I used to(the most I've been eating these days is 2 small meals and maybe a piece of fruit or granola bar in-between....but not much else). On the flip side, I seem to have a constant "thirst-craving", especially for Diet Coke of all things. Initially, I assumed this was r/t two things: 1)"dry mouth", which is another side effect of Adderall; and 2) the air quality in both my house & at the hospital where I work is very dry. (Side note: the doctor who prescribes and monitors my Narcolepsy medication is aware of everything I just mentioned and said I shouldn't worry because these side effects are short-lived and will go away in time. Also, I never experienced any of them while on the Ritalin).

The final thing I wanted to mention is that I've been taking an antibiotic(Augmentin) for a sinus infection since last Friday. And knowing that UTIs and yeast infections can develop as a result of taking antibiotics, I thought maybe I was getting one of them. However, in the past when I've had both vaginal and bladder infections, the odor given off by my urine was strong and foul-smelling......which is nothing like the current smell. And I'm not experiencing any other symptoms which are characteristic of UTIs and yeast infections. I do not have cloudy urine....in fact, it is perfectly clear and pale yellow in appearance. I am not having any vaginal discharge, burning upon urination, urgency or the frequent need to go, vaginal itching or discomfort. And I am not, and have not been, running a fever. Again, my only symptom is this "fruity" smelling urine.

Any ideas on what could be going on? Should I be worried? Should I contact one of my doctors? If so, which one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: "Fruity"-smelling urine, other symptoms...but I'm not diabetic(??)

you could have ketones in your urine from other possible causes other than diabetes.have you checked your urine for ketones?are you 100% certain that you do not actually have diabetes?i would see your primary doc for a full physical including bloodwork/urinalysis just to see how things are.thats a pretty strong symptom to just have out of the blue along with your other ongoing symptoms too.something obviously just isn't 'right",you know what i mean?hope things are okay for you,just get that full physical and see whats up.please keep me posted as to what you find out. FB

Old 12-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

wisangel HB User

Thank you for replying.

When I got to work this morning, I checked my blood sugar using one of the hospital's accu-check machines. I was curious to see what the result would be and actually planned to do this. So, from 10pm last night until I tested my blood sugar this morning,
I fasted, meaning I had nothing to eat or drink for at least 9 hours. Well, according to the machine, my fasting blood sugar was 112. For not being diabetic, that seems kinda high for a fasting sugar result. Am I right? How reliable is this result, cause now I'm really worried something's wrong?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

My best friend has been diabetic since she was 11. She is now 34. I asked her about your symptoms and she said you really need to get an evaluation for diabetes, because your symptoms are very consistent with diabetes. And she said that 112 is on the high end for a fasting glucose.

You can assume that you don't have diabetes, but the problem is that you don't know for sure. Make an appointment as soon as possible with a doctor. Left untreated, diabetes can be deadly.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

ditto on what Kszan just said,you DO need to know whats causing this.your symptoms really do appear to fit with possible diabetes.please keep us posted as to what you find out,K? FB

Closed Thread