It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Compulsive/Pathological Liars

Hey Everyone,
Just a quick question for anyone who has experience with this topic:

Is compulsive/pathological lying a genetic trait?

Just curious... thanks for any input!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Re: Compulsive/Pathological Liars

I have dealt with this with a family member and, later on, realized that their child grew up to do the same from age 8 (she is 18 now and has perfected the art of lying.)

I don't think it is a genetic trait necessarily - if we look at the context of our immediate surroundings, i.e. parents, siblings, we basically follow or "self-teach" behaviors by observation...example, child sees/hears mom lying to dad to avoid some sort of consequence, once, twice, twenty times, the child will pick up on that act and think it's the norm. "Monkey sees, monkey does" sort of theory.

I truly believe it's related to environmental characteristics, we learn to lie to avoid unpleasant situations. I don't believe we are born liars. Later on, we grow and come to our own realizations of what is wrong or right, based on (hopefully) morals and principles (hopefully) taught by our parents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

I agree with CanP but I also believe there may be other psychological problems that may be in ones genes that can cause/or manifest itself like this. Environment plays a MAJOR part though. I had a Boyfriend that I believe was a pathological liar. I also see subtle messages of being deceptive that people are taught throughout life (everyone). But being PATHOLOGICAL is different. Can you give more input?
Bella

Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..it seems that compulsive and pathological liars are not the same.

The compulsive liar does so out of habit, defensiveness, anxiety..etc, usually doesn't manipulate and isn't necessarily self-centred.

A pathological liar is usually in conjunction with a personality disorder such as Narcissistic Personality Disorder. There's probably no regard for the consequences of the lies (people's feelings), and there's a goal to be sought through the lies and manipulation. In other words...it's done with a purpose and well in mind...no guilt about it or enough of it to change their behaviour.

I think the personality disorder can be inherited, and the lies just become part of it through learning they can work.

I agree that people learn the habit and different reasons for the degrees of lies. They would be more socially and enpathetically connected...knowing it's wrong, but don't want to hurt others' feelings.

I agree that we can learn to lie from our environment...if it's rewarded, then the habit of lying will be more difficult to change. There's always a pay-off if it continues.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 12-28-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Hey Everyone,
thanks for the replies, and sorry to get back to you a few days after.

I ask b/c my boyfriend's father was/is(?) a pathological liar, or compulsive, not really sure which. I just know that he lived multiple lives, disapeared for days at a time, was institutionalized for a bit, even had a fake death certificate made up for his now-ex wife.. just a life of lies. They were divorced before my boyfriend was a teenager, i think he was about 10... so I don't know how much of a part of his life he was then. I was also told that his father had a problem with depression.

I tend to get a bit paranoid from time to time, and although my trust issues are better than they were 2 years ago, they resurface every once in a while. My boyfriend's never given me reason to think he's lying.. but if he's good at it, how would I really know right?!?!

That's why I wondered if maybe it was something that could be inherited.. although I really think that I was just curious for no good reason! Thanks again for all the input

Happy 2008!!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
(male)

rick21 HB User

Im in hell ive suffered from depression for years, but my lack of trust in other people led me to start lying from a very early age. To make matters worse i have just lost my girlfriend who i love very much because of this.

I feel it all stems from insecurity and i know i shouldnt do it but i do the problem is that the lying leads to more depression and the feeling i have of loss toy my partner just makes everything worse.

I am a good caring person why the hell is this destroying my life why cant i get away from it.

please reply

Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
(male)

rick21 HB User

Well just to update the doctor has put me on fluoxotene (prozac) been on it 10 days now not sure wether this is a blessing or a curse.

is there no end to this hell, can anyone suggest anything

Closed Thread