It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
What causes rapid weight loss...

I've been having some digestive problems the last few months (and seeing doctors/having tests). I am an otherwise healthy 37 yr old. I have abdominal pain (lower/left). My HIDA scan showed my gallbladder not functioning (0%) so it was removed but the abdominal pains persisted. My CT scan showed small abnormalities on the left and right lobes of my liver and an enlarged uterus, but I was told these were OK (liver functions are normal). My small bowel series showed a slow down on the lower left side, but again I was told they consider the results normal. I am waiting for a colonoscopy mid-January. I had one two years ago due to similar problems (which resolved when treated as Crohn's but I am now told it's not Crohn's). So likelihood of anything showing on the colonoscopy are low. By the way the Crohn's treatment didn't resolve my problem when this started up again about 3 months ago, which is why I started seeing the dr again and getting tests. I am always uncomfortable with occasional days of severe cramping/pain (I cry). I am having bowel movements although they are small in size and I never feel empty.

I've lost 30lbs in less than a month. I am eating less, but eating. Even if I completely stopped eating I don't think I could have lost so much so fast. I don't know the exact time frame but it seemed overnight to me... definitely less than a month. I am still losing.

Can something stimulate my metabolism? I understand malabsorbtion may be in play, but again it seems to be a really short time span. My thyroid checked out OK.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: What causes rapid weight loss...

Could be anything Zoe. Do you smoke? have you been under any stress lately? Thats a crazy amount of weight to lose so fast, which makes me think the scale was wrong you were using! Even if you were sick 30 pounds is HIGH to lose so fast. You drinking enough?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I don't smoke. I am under the same amount of stress I am always under, possibly less (I own a business, have kids, etc). I drink water constantly and the weight loss figures aren't coming from my scale, but from the doctor offices. Also I'm down two pant sizes so I am positive that I have lost that amount. Not complaining about it (I'm a woman!) but obviously with the abdominal pain this is a symptom and it's a concern.

I am currently 130lbs, 5'4". I had tried on and off the past 8 yrs to lose the weight but it's been a long time since I put any effort into it. Prior to 8 yrs ago (birth of my 3rd son) I was 120lbs and under my entire life. This is why I'm wondering if something kicked my metabolism in.

I think they thought I was constipated so I take fiber 3x/day, miralax (mild laxative) every other day and they put me on Levbid. My stools are not hard at all.

Last edited by ZoeGirl; 12-30-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
(male)

Schroddfather HB User

Rapid weight loss can be caused by cancer. It can be caused by other things, but don't wait on this. Force the issue with your doctor. The cancer mechanism is, as tissue cancer functions inefficiently and uses up your body's glucose, causing weight loss.

As for the lower left abdomen pain, that can be diverticulosis - the mild form of diverticulitis. That can't really be treated, you just need to avoid hard dense foods, like nuts, seeds, and popcorn.

The weight loss is very concerning. Talk to your doctor, tomorrow. Don't take "it's nothing" for an answer.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I had a colonoscopy 2 yrs ago for similar symptoms and I did not have diverticulitis, not that it means I couldn't have developed it. 2 yrs ago it was more a tearing/burning feeling in my lower abdomen and it left after steroid treatment. Now it's just a sharp pain which doubles me over. I forgot to say that about 5 months ago I had rectal bleeding (bright red, lots of it) for about two weeks. My gastro finally got me in (I was done bleeding) and didn't test for anything. I had no pain at the time and he told me to come back when I did. I went to a different gastro when the pain started 3 months ago, although they all seem the same - pretty indifferent at the amount of pain I am in.

I have been eating pretty normal the last week and determined food does not cause the pain, but when I have to have a bowel movement I have pain in my abdomen. Best described last Thursday as jagged glass moving through my left and right side. I am having a problem with constipation, not hard stools (at all) but just not going. My stools are soft but I am unable to go a decent amount since last Thursday (Saturday I produced a small size, soft stool). My husband thinks it's colon cancer and I do not since I had that colonoscopy 2 yrs ago. My GP took blood to test for tumor markers on Monday but said it is not reliable. I don't see my gastro until Jan 14th for the colonoscopy.. time seems to be crawling.

On top of the miralax and benefiber I took two laxatives last night. I hadn't tried them before. I woke up with bad cramping (like diarrhea cramping) at 2am, but I had yet to produce anything.

Closed Thread