It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
(male)

BostonRunning HB User
Sloshing Stomach

This is a consistant issue that has been bothering me since, roughly, mid october. It has become progressively worse since then. Basically, I go out for my runs, and while it doesn't really HURT, it is incredibly annoying and loud, to the point where others that I am running with can clearly hear(the entire run). Sometimes its louder than others, particularly midday, after lunch.

The obvious solution to wait longer after my meals to run, which I have tried, to the point where I am practically starving, and it still occurs, though it does seem to be worse on a full or half full stomach. Even when I run first thing in the morning it still occurs, if only a little bit, but since I am not such a morning guy, and I have morning classes, this does not work out.

So the next thing I turned to was my diet, I eliminated certian things(milk, gum, peanut butter ect..) out of my diet for several days to see if a certian food was causing it, but I have yet to find what food, specifcally, is doing it. Recently, I have come to believe that maybe its being caused by eating meat or food with a lot of protein, but I really don't want to believe that, because I don't want to be a vegetarian.

Its been making my runs miserable, to the point where I quit track(I run in college). I have contemplated quitting running because of this but I really don't want to do that.

I should mention that this doesn't occur ONLY when running, it happens when I do just about anything active; walking up stairs, jumping, even SHOVELING). Something is clearly wrong, I just can't figure it out. I should also mention that I have been living off cafeteria food at college, though I eat very healthy. Since coming home for vacation, though, the situation has gotten somewhat better.

So my question to you guys is if you have any suggestions, ideas, or know of any websites/places/people I could ask about this?(I have already gotten a doctors appt, who told me that it had something to do with digestive bacteria and recommended eating yogurt for the good bacteria, this did not work. Also, my uncle, who happens to be a doctor suggested taking Prylosec OTC, as he believed it may be related to stomach acids, so I went out and purchased that and started taking it 2 days ago but it has yet to solve the problem.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: Sloshing Stomach

I would have suggested what the doctor said about the yogurt, and taking Acidophilis. This is like a vitamin that puts back the good bacteria your stomach. I take it a lot.

I do know what you are talking about with the noisy stomach. I get that sometimes, but mine is usually when I haven't eaten enough (because I'm always dieting). It could also be gas. Do you drink any carbonated beverages or those sports drinks? Do you drink coffee or tea, any caffeine? How about your bowels? Are you constipated or have the runs?

I know my son complains a lot of stomach aches from the cafeteria food in college. It's just not the best food, I guess. He started drinking a supplement from the gym, Muscle Milk. It has a lot of vitamins in it, and he feels it helps his stomach and gives him energy.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

The stomach empties out within 20-30 minutes after eating, so that doesn't really sound like the problem (though I'm no doctor). What about drinking? I have friends who don't go anywhere without their water bottle, even to church. Are you constantly sipping? That would cause sloshing when you run.

Or maybe it's not the contents of your stomach, but your abdomen itself. What kind of shape are you in? I don't mean to offend you, but this is the beauty of an anonymous board: we can all be totally honest! Are you on the heavy side, and do you have a "loose" abdomen, that is, maybe a little flabby? If so, maybe losing a little weight and doing some core strengthening will tighten everything up. Or maybe a lumbar support would help keep things from moving around during a run.

I may be way off base, but since I don't know you, these are the questions that came to mind as I read your post. My two cents worth...

Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
(male)

BostonRunning HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAtlas View Post
The stomach empties out within 20-30 minutes after eating, so that doesn't really sound like the problem (though I'm no doctor). What about drinking? I have friends who don't go anywhere without their water bottle, even to church. Are you constantly sipping? That would cause sloshing when you run.

Or maybe it's not the contents of your stomach, but your abdomen itself. What kind of shape are you in? I don't mean to offend you, but this is the beauty of an anonymous board: we can all be totally honest! Are you on the heavy side, and do you have a "loose" abdomen, that is, maybe a little flabby? If so, maybe losing a little weight and doing some core strengthening will tighten everything up. Or maybe a lumbar support would help keep things from moving around during a run.

I may be way off base, but since I don't know you, these are the questions that came to mind as I read your post. My two cents worth...
Thanks for the responses

I really dont drink that much liquid, I typically have a bottle of water with each meal(so about 3 or 4 a day), and I don't drink any coffee, tea, sports drinks, fruit drinks ect... Just water, milk, and orange juice.
I'm probably closer to the underweight side, I'm 5"7 and 125-130 lbs. I train intensely for college track and this is why it's bothering me so much.
I don't feel like it has to do much with liquids, because, I've gone out for runs in the past after guzzling a couple bottles of water and had it slosh, but this sound is different somehow, I feel it may be related to gas.

Closed Thread