It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

connie41 HB User
Does torn cartilage around rib cage hurt during healing process?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Does torn cartilage around rib cage hurt during healing process?

it can depending on how bad that tear was.taking anti inflammatories would probably be the best type of med to take.keeping the inflammation down will not only help with the pain but also reduce the healing time when the inflammtion can be held down to a minimum.how did that tear occur or don't you know?that can happen too.just how long has it been since this was actually Dxed in you? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

connie41 HB User

The bruising around the front left rib cartilage and muscle occurred when I lost my balance while walking on the sidewalk and fell forward onto my left front. There has been no external bruising. I iced immediately. I have been resting and using Panadol when required. I also have seen my physio twice. There is some improvement but only slight. It occurred 5 days ago.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just how did they actually determine any real bruising going on when there was not any external showing of it?did you at least recieve any x rays on that area?any real muscle damage can generally take alot longer to really heal to the point wher you are not feeling the pain anymore.the cartalege,if it is actually pulled away from the ribcage would also cause some level of ongoing pain too.try using some sort of NSAID like aleeve(naproxen) or advil and see what happens.at least you have seen your doc about this.if things do not get better at all by like the end of the week,this may require a bit more in depth type of follow up since the possibility that this injury went a bit deeper is always a possiblity too,like some level of damage or bruising or bleed ito an underlying organ.it all depends really on just how you actually landed and if you landed onto something that could have pushed the ribcage into an underlying organ,its called a rebound injury.the ribcage kind of 'bends' and goes into the organ somewhat or creates alot of instant sudden pressure then it rebounds back into place and would not actually have broken a rib or the cage,but it did do some damage.you know what i mean?there are just some vulnerable organs under that ribcage that could have possibly been injured to some degree too.this is what you kind of need to watch for if things do not get better soon.just follow up with your doc on this.there are some pretty simple tests like an abdominal ultrasound that could check those most vulnerable organs for any signs of possible damage.hopefully things will start feeling much better for you soon,but if not,get to your doc for further testing on that injured area.please keep me posted,K? FB

Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
(female)

Mossflower HB User

Hrm my sister *just* had a 1500 lb horse directly fall ontop of her full force and full-out... about a week ago. She has some fractured ribs, torn ligaments and some cartilage too. Thankfully, thats ALL

She says her ribs hurt like hell and her doctor told her to expect that type of pain with those injuries in the chest area.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie41 View Post

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
(female)

connie41 HB User

This is day 6 after the fall. I am feeling much better but am prepared for the healing to take some weeks to resolve. My doctor didn't indicate any x-rays or ultrasound at this point. But, if I don't continue to feel better, I would ask him about this.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sounds like a good plan and just good follow up on your type of injury.things should just be progressing from here and if they don't,you know what to do.i hope you feel better soon.i broke a rib once and it was pretty painful for quite a while.the older we get,the longer it takes to heal with just about anything.let me know how you are doing. FB

wow,a horse??hope she gets better soon. FB

Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
(female)

Mossflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
sounds like a good plan and just good follow up on your type of injury.things should just be progressing from here and if they don't,you know what to do.i hope you feel better soon.i broke a rib once and it was pretty painful for quite a while.the older we get,the longer it takes to heal with just about anything.let me know how you are doing. FB

wow,a horse??hope she gets better soon. FB

Yeah, she was out trail riding, something spooked her horse. It reared up on her, and they were in some mud. The horse lost its footing, feet went out straight forward from under it and fell backwards - like fell directly straight back on her. Envision yourself seated on a rocking chair and having someone come right up on you and push you over straight backwards. Now replace the chair with the horse.

Yeah, just like that If she didn't have her helmet on, she would have been dead or completely paralyzed.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
(female)

connie41 HB User
Smile Re: Does torn cartilage around rib cage hurt during healing process?

Thanks Feelbad for your interest. I will let you know how I go as time progresses.

Closed Thread