It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
(male)

ammadaeus HB User
Cystic fibrosis, or withdrawal and extreme anxiety?

Ok. I'm 19 years old, have never really had recurrent problems coughing up nasty phlem.. (It happens, but only if I'm sick, which isn't so often), never had pneumonia, and no breathing problems other than some childhood athsma, which actually 'went away', have always had extreme anxiety and panic attacks, and I haven't had breathing problems since. My diet has always been rediculously bad, lots of soda and fast food. In fact, generally more junk food than real food. I was always kind of skinny as a kid, but once I hit puberty I put on a considerable amount of weight and muscle for someone who rarely worked out. Bear in mind no one in my family is very big, but by sixteen I was benching 200+ pounds. I've never had the best stamina either, but I never really ran alot. I started smoking at 15 or so, and around that time developed a constantly stuffy nose. Still, I rarely got sick, and when I did it was even more rarely respritory. In fact, in four years I think I may have had a sore throat or two and maybe bronchitis once. Most of my irritation was due to my stuffy nose, which my doctor blamed on smoking. By 17 I had became a fairly heavy drinker and marijuana user. Occasionally, especially after some hardcore drinking I would develop diaarea. Anyway, about a month ago after a night of heavy drinking I had a pain in my left lower abdomen. I laid off the booze and cigarettes and it went away. I actually quit alcohol, cigarettes, and pot all together at the same time. I started to notice a pain under my right shoulderblade that flares up after eating especially unhealthy/greasy/spicy foods. Pain is usually dull but has its moments and is sometimes aggravated by taking deep breaths. I have extreme anxiety and a loss of appetite. Stool varies alot now, sometimes being consistant and brown with good shape, sometimes being stringy with a bit of red in it, even a bit greasy. I talked to two doctors who both doubt I have cystic fibrosis. They think that I'm having extreme withdrawal symptoms multiplied by too much time on WEB MD. I took two general wellness blood tests, both came back normal with a slightly high, but still normal liver function. I had a urinalysis done, which came back normal for kidney function. I had an x-ray of my lungs, and an GI x-ray, both came back competley normal. MY anxiety is chronic, I've been diagnosed bi-polar/manic depressive, and sometimes make symptoms worse by obsessing. I've had multiple panic attacks from this whole ordeal and want to know if anyones experienced anything similar. Even now, I do not have issues coughing stuff up and can take deep breaths without wheezing just fine. But still, I sort of suspect cystic fibrosis. My doctors think I'm being a little nutty and gave me a shot of haldol for anxiety. So is it more likely that I may have cystic fibrosis, or that my body is just kicking my *** for years of buse and throwing a tantrum for substances it misses?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

babyluv45 HB User
Re: Cystic fibrosis, or withdrawal and extreme anxiety?

i doubt you have cystic fibrosis as you probably would have been diagnosed as a child. do you have a family history of it? it is genetic. you probably would have a lot more lung problems if that were it and be a lot sicker much more often. but that being said, have you had your gall bladder checked out? some of the symptoms you describe may indicate a problem with that. or maybe irritable bowel could be a factor also.
i, too, was diagnosed bi-polar with extreme anxiety and am the same age as you. so i know what it is like to worry incessantly about your health. but i SERIOUSLY doubt it is anything as serious as cystic fibrosis.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
(male)

ammadaeus HB User
Re: Cystic fibrosis, or withdrawal and extreme anxiety?

No. There is no family history of it. Doctor isn't convinced about gall bladder either since my labs came back normal. Looking into IBS.

Closed Thread