It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
Rabies?

My MIL was attacked by a wild cat last week and had to go to the Emergency room. She said all they did was give her a Tetanus shot. She was bitten pretty badly on the back of the head/neck. I was just wondering the risk for Rabies since this was a wild cat who has been roaming the neighborhood for quite some time. Would a Tetanus shot take care of it if the cat DID have rabies? Should she go back to the Dr. and get a Rabies shot just to be on the safe side?

I don't know much about this so any information would be helpful!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Rabies?

A tetanus shot will not prevent rabies. She should ask her doctor if she is at risk.

In some areas/animals, rabies is very rare. I don't know what the probability of getting it from a wild cat bite where you live is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

Ditto, janewhite! If your MIL was bitten by a wild animal, I would think she'd have to have rabies shots to be safe. She needs to contact her own physician. I would rather be safe than sorry. It's better not to take chances.
Soibhan

Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

did they catch the cat to test it? I looked it up and cats CAN get rabies. I'd call county health or the doc and get more info. Rabies is fatal if not treated immediately.

Closed Thread