It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Gerrard8 HB User
Throat problem.

Hey. First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong thread and fully understand if it is moved to the correct section.

Now to my problem.

For a few months now I've been coughing up some thick white substance from what seems to be my throat. Without wanting to go into too much gory detail about it it's so thick that you could literally stretch it with your fingers.

For a good few weeks I thought nothing of it as I didn't have a saw throat and I can eat and drink without any pain or problems, so I thought whatever it was it would go away when it wanted to sooner or later. But over the last month or maybe a bit longer I've noticed that if I touch below my adam's apple and prod it a little it's quite uncomfortable and maybe even slightly painful. It feels hard and it feels like there is a bump or lump there and I have no idea if that was there before I started to have this problem or not.

I went to see the nurse about 3 or 4 weeks ago and she did the procedure to check my chest and she said it was fine, but it has always felt that the nasty substance I was coughing up numerous times a day was coming from my throat and not from my chest like if it were an infection.

It is slightly worrying as the problem, whatever it is, seems to be getting worse and not better. I have also started a relationship with a girl recently and despite cleaning my teeth at least twice a day, using mouthwash on a regular basis and chewing on gum the problem makes any physical contact with my mouth a bit daunting.

I'm not sure if I need to give any details about myself but I'm 23 years of age and consider myself to be relatively fit as I play for a football team and train on a regular basis and also walk a lot in the average week, something which I'm forced to do as I still haven't managed to pass my driving test!

Anyway thanks in advance, any help or thoughts would be much appreciated of course.

Last edited by Gerrard8; 01-27-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User
Re: Throat problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard8 View Post
Hey. For a few months now I've been coughing up some thick white substance from what seems to be my throat. Without wanting to go into too much gory detail about it it's so thick that you could literally stretch it with your fingers.
Aint no doctor, but I did that when I had phenmonia. Liquid in lungs. If I were you, I would get the doctor not the nurse...and if they cant find anything, ask for a second opinion. It does sound like an infection. Or perhaps an STD. Yes, I know that sounds odd, but you can get std's in your mouth...and you did state you had a girlfriend. So keep on the doctor til you get all fixed up.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Gerrard8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey7935 View Post
Aint no doctor, but I did that when I had phenmonia. Liquid in lungs. If I were you, I would get the doctor not the nurse...and if they cant find anything, ask for a second opinion. It does sound like an infection. Or perhaps an STD. Yes, I know that sounds odd, but you can get std's in your mouth...and you did state you had a girlfriend. So keep on the doctor til you get all fixed up.
Thanks alot for the reply.

What's an STD? Obviously it stands for something.

I've been having pains in my back and ribs for a while too, especially the very top of my back just below my neck and directly under my arm pits. Could this tie in with what you had, Phenmonia?

Last edited by Gerrard8; 01-27-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Gerrard, do you have allergies?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

could you have thrush in your mouth as it can go into the throat look and see if yuor tounge or throat has any coating on them

Old 01-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Gerrard8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARON1952 View Post
could you have thrush in your mouth as it can go into the throat look and see if yuor tounge or throat has any coating on them
Thanks for the reply.

My tongue seems fine. I always brush my tongue aswell as my teeth in the morning so I think I'm pretty hygienic.

It's the hard lump below my adam's apple that's rather worrying, not just the horrible goo I cough up. I have no idea if it was there before I started having this problem and have no idea about the human anatomy as to whether it should be there or not.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Gerrard8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Gerrard, do you have allergies?
None at all as far as I know, although my stomach seems to have a disliking for tangy cheese Doritos!

Closed Thread