It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

nicole131 HB User
Unexplained bruising + tiredness

Hi,

I am 19 and have been noticing weird bruises on my body for the past several weeks. I have no explanation for them- they have all occurred in places that I haven't hit or fallen on or anything. I have also been feeling extremely tired, even when I get ten or more hours of sleep, but the weird things is that it has been taking me one to one and a half hours to fall asleep at night. In the past four months, I've lost 15 pounds and I was not overweight to begin with.
I went to the doctor, and he thought I might have anemia. However, the test results showed that my iron count was fine- he just said that my pulse was rapid & my blood pressure was low (100 was the top number, i can't remember the other).
Anyways, I have an appointment to go see my family doctor over Spring Break in March, but I was wondering if anyone could help me so I can at least tell the doc what I think I might have.

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to nicole131:
buddielove (06-17-2011)
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

marylou23 HB User
Re: Unexplained bruising + tiredness

I had the same problem. I was always tired and I was so bruised that it got to the point where it looked liked I had been beaten. I went to the doctor and they checked my platelet count and found that it was extremely low. The normal range is 150,000-400,000. I was at 25,000. At one point my platelet count went down to 7,000 and I had to be hospitalized and have a platelet transfusion. I went through biotherapy (Rituximab infusions) and I am currently taking prednisone (a steroid). My platelet counts are stable and the bruising has gone away. The name of the disease is ITP or Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. You would need to have some labs done to see what your platelet counts are but look into it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
(female)

nicole131 HB User

That does sound kind of like what I have, but I don't have heavy menstrual bleeding or small bruises...in fact, I have been spotting this month and I never have before.
Another thing is that I donated blood a week ago, and my iron count was 12.9 (it has to be above a 12.5 to donate) and everything went smoothly. You would think that if my blood was unusable beause of a high white blood cell count or something, they would have called me, right?

But I have had a few people ask if somebody beat me up beause my bruises look like that. In fact, I first noticed it when a guy approached me and asked if my boyfriend was beating me!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

___vintaqe HB User

i have the same thing. i sleep 12-14 hours a night, and bruise if you touch me slightly. get checked for thalassemia.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Nicole...welcome to the boards!! My friend's son had this same thing, and he eventually found out it was leukemia. I think it's really far-fetched for you to have it, but at least mention it, so you can be tested to rule it out. Three of the main symptoms are bruising, weigh loss, and tiredness. His was caught right after the bruising started, and he started treatment right away and he's doing great now!! Just wanted to throw that in...praying for you!! It's going to be ok.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
(female)

nicole131 HB User

Thanks for all the replies! I have an appointment in three weeks, but I am kind of nervous. Am I just being paranoid? I feel fine, except for being constantly tired and having a sinus infection that will not go away (I've been on three antibiotis, and I've had it since November, but it will NOT go away completely!)...and of course, I have no appetite!
When I go to see the doctor, should I ask for a complete blood work-up? I just want to know that I am ok.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Girl, it's going to be ok! I would just ask for a CBC (complete blood test) and explain your concerns about leukemia, thalassemia, and ITP. He will have reasons for telling you those aren't your problem, or he'll check for them. Just stay calm and know that we're here for you! It might be nothing at all...just a recurring sinus infection and more bruising than normal. And a sinus infection (and the antibiotics) can cause tiredness! Keep us posted!! Prayin' for you!

Closed Thread