It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

pandacakes HB User
Unhappy pain in right lower ribs & back

Hi, I have a complicated problem and feel totally lost.

For a few months I have had discomfort in my right side, lower rib area. It has made clothing impossible to wear, and every moment of my life i am uncomfortable. It's hard to describe because it's not exactly PAINFUL, but really uncomfortable.

I went to the doctor many times. There is a small, movable lump on my lower rib. He took Xrays, blood, even a sonogram to see that it wasn't my gall bladder. He said it was a pulled muscle, gave me anti-inflammatorys and muscle relaxors.

A month later it was no better and it seemed the pain spread from my rib around to my back on the right side. I went back and he diagnosed it as shingles without a rash. Known as "zoster sine herpete." I was given steroids, anti virals and meds for nerve pain. Well, I finished those meds and am no better. I've researched shingles and saw that it does occur without the rash, but it is rare. AND shingles itself is rare in young people. (I just turned 24) Now, I'm told that the fact that I'm still not better could mean that I have post-herpetic neuralgia... but apparently that is even more rare in young people.

To me it all sounds a little too rare, and since I'm not any better I don't really believe that's what's wrong with me. But I've gone to the doctor so much now that I'm broke and at a loss. He doesn't seem to think the lump on my rib means anything.... I'm losing faith in the medical community as a whole.

I'm really scared, it's not getting any better and I can't go on living like this. It's really taking a toll on my life... if anyone has an ideas I'd love to hear them. Also, if anyone who has had shingles could tell me what their pain felt like it would be helpful.
Thanks a lot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
(male)

damon11176 HB User
Re: pain in right lower ribs & back

i have a sunburn type feeling on the waistband, lower back, thighs, butt, etc but no rash yet either and i am 31...i just got a blood test and am waiting results....it sounds like i do have shingles but i dont know yet

Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
(male)

CZAR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacakes View Post
Hi, I have a complicated problem and feel totally lost.

For a few months I have had discomfort in my right side, lower rib area. It has made clothing impossible to wear, and every moment of my life i am uncomfortable. It's hard to describe because it's not exactly PAINFUL, but really uncomfortable.

I went to the doctor many times. There is a small, movable lump on my lower rib. He took Xrays, blood, even a sonogram to see that it wasn't my gall bladder. He said it was a pulled muscle, gave me anti-inflammatorys and muscle relaxors.

A month later it was no better and it seemed the pain spread from my rib around to my back on the right side. I went back and he diagnosed it as shingles without a rash. Known as "zoster sine herpete." I was given steroids, anti virals and meds for nerve pain. Well, I finished those meds and am no better. I've researched shingles and saw that it does occur without the rash, but it is rare. AND shingles itself is rare in young people. (I just turned 24) Now, I'm told that the fact that I'm still not better could mean that I have post-herpetic neuralgia... but apparently that is even more rare in young people.

To me it all sounds a little too rare, and since I'm not any better I don't really believe that's what's wrong with me. But I've gone to the doctor so much now that I'm broke and at a loss. He doesn't seem to think the lump on my rib means anything.... I'm losing faith in the medical community as a whole.

I'm really scared, it's not getting any better and I can't go on living like this. It's really taking a toll on my life... if anyone has an ideas I'd love to hear them. Also, if anyone who has had shingles could tell me what their pain felt like it would be helpful.
Thanks a lot
I have similar pain, actually it is not a pain but a continuous burning sensation for over a 15 years on front left side from lower to middle rib zone. Sometime it goes higher and gives pain while even speaking. Best solution I found is to lay down and take rest.
After consultation, doctors say, there is no way to find the cause through any check up. They have given me similar treatment as yours with no positive result.
It will be a pleasure to find if some lucky one had a right diagnostic and treatment.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

ibajob HB User

Hello: I've just found this website and am so where you are! I am alot older than you, but have been experiencing similar symptoms and going to doctors for 6 months trying to find out my problem.

I too am suffering from shingles pain on my right side and thru to my back. First let me say, hang in there. It's really important to have friends and family around. I have felt many times like I just can't make it, and then my sister helps turn me around. I went from being extremely active to nothing, actually laying in bed for over 4 months. I really do know how you feel.

I have just recently found a good pain management center, who "diagnosed" me with shingles, although 6 other doctors said I couldn't possibly have it because I had no major breakout. I actually did have a breakout that was like little pimples and kept saying I thought that's what I had, but NO ONE believed me. I also almost had my gallbladder out until I really listened to what a doctor said and realized that many times they kind of put you in a "box", fitting you into their profile. Don't let anyone do that to you.

Currently I am taking nortriptyline, which has helped greatly with the pain and they want me to also take Cymbalta. I'm working toward it. I am not much for meds if I don't have to. But when you feel horrible, you'll try just about anything!

I would say to try to find a pain management center at a larger hospital in your city. The people you meet make alot of difference and in my case, this last group has been great. They also have a psychologist that I am going to see for my depression. Although my pain is getting better, I have had huge issues with my whole "healthcare" experience. I think just being heard will be great for me. Also, there is a website that may help you "healthjourneys.com". They publish all kinds of CDs on guided imagery and things like that for relaxation and pain. The one I like the best is by Belleruth Naparstek Ease Pain. It has helped me with my mental journery thru all of this.

I wanted to reach out to you because I know the level of frustration you probably have, which really does lead to hopelessness and then depression. It's very hard and you are very young. I'll tell you, I may have some perspective in life, but I don't feel any older than you. When you are venerable and hurting, you need someone to help. Also, reevaluate what's going on in your life. I was under trememdous stress for over 4 years and I know that's what did it. I can't do that again. Even younger people have tons of stress, so it's something to think about.

I hope that helps. Take care and take a deep breathe...it really helps.

Closed Thread