It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Something is in my nose and it's driving me nuts

For the past 3 or 4 weeks, I've had something in my nose that feels like dried blood or a scab of some sort...where it came from eludes me. I am not a chronic nose picker and I haven't had a bloody nose for about six months, so I know it's not from bleeding. I've tried to blow the offending substance out, but it is officially fused to my nose. I've also tried scratching it away, but it won't come off, and I usually end up in tears because it hurts so much trying to scratch this thing off.

I don't know what this is, but it's driving me insane. I can feel it by gently twitching my nose and I hate knowing it's there. Should I go in my nose with tweezers and try to yank whatever it is out? Anything I could use to soften the skin so maybe I can pick at it easier?

I know this sounds very disgusting, but it's bugging the crap out of me, and I've begun to realize I'm picking at my nose in public because it bothers me so much (not full-on digging into my nostril, but just continuously rubbing my nose or otherwise touching it). Help?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: Something is in my nose and it's driving me nuts

I really feel for you because I know exactly what you're talking about! It's totally miserable and it bugs the crap out of you simply because it's THERE!!! I'd try some of that nasal saline spray to moisten your nose. Give it a couple days and see if that will loosen up whatever is making you uncomfortable. You can also try standing over a steaming pot of boiling water several times a day and that may also help. Hope you feel better ASAP!!!
Soibhan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I get these things in the winter because the air is so darn dry. I use vasoline in my nose to keep the tissue moist so that it doesn't get these dried up spots.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

kobe kowsumoto HB User

putting vaseline in the nose is dangerous. it can cause lung damage and pneumonia.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Dark Stranger,
It seems to me if you have really dug at it and its NOT coming out or going away....It MAY very well be ATTACHED?? Could be some sort of polyp, cyst, or growth, or even something as nasty as a tic, who knows?
I would suggest at this point being that its been a month, you should see an ENT doctor, or even your Primary doctor should be able to look for you.
I can only imagine how annoying and painful it may be, It should really be looked at.
Good luck, take care,
and GOd bless,
Annette

Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
(male)

ghunt HB User

It may be a VERY well attached scab, I've had those a few times. If I picked at it, it'd make my eyes water and it hurt, so I couldn't stand it.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

The thing is it doesn't feel like a cyst or a zit or anything...it feels like a scab. I've had scabs before, but they were never stuck this tight to me. I have saline spray around here somewhere and I'll try that and see if it helps.

Also, I'm away from home right now and won't be back home for another six weeks, so seeing my doctor is out of the question. Perhaps if I stop picking at it for a while, maybe it'll go away...because I've been picking at it frantically every single day with absolutely no luck.

But thank you all for the help - hopefully whatever this thing is ill vacate my body soon.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe kowsumoto View Post
putting vaseline in the nose is dangerous. it can cause lung damage and pneumonia.
The vasoline isn't going into my lungs.

Closed Thread