It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

HaveaHeart HB User
Cyst or Lymph Node? Very Painful.

Hello Everyone,

Friday morning, around 4:00am, I woke up with a swollen, very tender/painful knot on the back of my head, sort of where your head and neck meet.

I called my doctor, and due to the fact I had already been there twice that past week due to something else (I tell you, when I fall apart, I fall apart! )

I have Trigeminal Neuralgia, and I thought maybe it was a complication of this, or the medicine I am taking, to control my TN. As, the TN is new to me, so I'm still learning about this itself.

Doctor said "No, I think it's an infected Lymph node, the pain won't last long, try Advil, and Ice".

Well, here it is Saturday evening and the pain and swelling are still around.

I'm beginning to think, maybe a Cyst of some kind? That needs to be drained.

Here are my symptoms......

Pain/Tender
Swelling
Limited ROM (range of motion) of my Neck
and if you lightly touch the area "around" it, it almost feels "numb".

I dont know if this is something I should be seen right away as in tonight, or should I let it wait............. till my doctor opens on monday. I'm

As it's keeping me up, it's so tender.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: Cyst or Lymph Node? Very Painful.

Welcome to the boards!! I'm so sorry you're going through this, and in my opinion, I'd have it seen about ASAP! It may be nothing more than a swollen lymph node, but it could be something that needs attention. Never hurts to get it checked out. I'll be praying for you! Please keep us posted...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

HaveaHeart HB User

Hi Painaway,
Thank you for the welcome! I am happy to be here.

I called the Dr. on call, and here is what he said, he said "Doesnt sound like anything that I would really worry about, if it's still there on Monday, go in and see your Dr.". Then he said, if you start having other symptoms, like Neurologic issues, Vomitting, Fever, or Drainage - then go to the ER or re-contact him again.

He thinks too, that it's a "clogged up" lymph node, from an infection in my body (as I am suffering with a common cold right now).

But, for whatever reason - I am a paranoid one, when it comes to these kinds of issues, and I have a hard time taking "You're OK" as an answer.

It's starting to become "itchy" in a way. My DH says that means it's healing.

I think that's a wise tail?

The other thing I think is............. since it came on SO SUDDEN, like literally OVERNIGHT. That it can't be anything too dangerous? As like cancer, gradually grows, etc. Don't you agree?

I will keep you posted for sure! Thanks for replying!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
(female)

Carmz HB User

Do you ever go to the Chiropractor? I get what sounds like what you have when my neck is out of place and needs to be adjusted. I asked the chiro about it once because I was concerned also because it hurt. He feels for those "lumps" whenever he works on my neck.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Hi Haveaheart,
It "could" be a cyst(boil, or what ever you may call it)? I have had them in various locations, and when they are going to "come to a head" they DO get itchy, but extreamly painful! OR on another note, could be a bite of some sort, "spider", or other critter?? Is It Red and raised, I know you cant see it, but maybe someone to look at it, that would tell you if its something on the outside, being a cyst or bite, or inside being a lymph node.
I hope you have found some relief by now, since posting.
Good luck, God bless,
Annette

Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
(female)

HaveaHeart HB User

Hi,
Thanks everyone for replying.

I don't go to a Chiropractor anymore, I used to for low back issues, but those have gone away for the most part.

I had my husband look, and he said he "cant see anything". It's definitly under the skin, therefore skin colored, just a raised bump, with swelling around it.

My doctor just called and said if it's still there, he wants to see me in. So now I'm worried.... plus, I dont want to go throug getting there, waiting around, PAYING another copay.

The pain is pretty much gone, unless you specifically TOUCH that area firmly, and even then, it's not pain. Just tender. However, the swelling IS there.

Closed Thread