It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

franniej HB User
Question Pain after car accident

I am hoping that someone on here might be able to help me with a few questions relating to a high impact car accident I had over a week ago. I have never been involved in anything like this so I thought someone might have experienced similar things to me and might have some ideas.

The accident occurred while I was driving at approximately 80km/ph (50mph) and a driver pulled out of a side street in front of me. I ,of course ,hit hard but luckily was wearing a seat belt.
A week and a half on I still have severe bruising on my neck, chest, breast and abdomen.(from the seatbelt) I find it hard to lift my arm, it is painful to bend over, lie on my back and am having a lot of trouble taking deep breaths. When I can take a deep breath it makes my chest shudder(kind of like if you cry too hard and can't breathe properly). The pain is across the front of the chest and under the breast and also in my back. I had chest x-rays at the hospital on the night of the accident and was told it all looked ok but that it was a hard area to image. Had ECG done which was normal and that is all the tests that were done. Was sent home with no pain meds or anything.

Is it normal to still be experiencing this much pain. I can't turn my head properly, lie flat on my back (have been sleeping upright since the accident), can't dress myself properly and in general everything involving the chest is very painful. My shoulders are clicking when i move and so is my chest when i can breath deeply. My doctor suggested another chest x-ray but I am not sure because I have had a lot of x-rays in the past month for follow ups on other problems.

I realise that I am extremely lucky but would have thought I might be a bit better by now because the others in my car are ok now. Is there any possibility that I could have some damage not detected on the day of the accident or is this likely to be something that will take time to mend? I am very good with pain normally but this has knocked me about a lot and I am not coping very well with the limited activities I can do.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by franniej; 02-23-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

mimi06 HB User
Re: Pain after car accident

I was also in a car accident very similiar to yours (same speed, truck pulled out, etc) My accident occured on 02/12 and I am having the same exact symptoms as you. The breast pain is the worst! It feels like I have been hit with a baseball bat across the front of my chest. I cant even pick up a gallon of milk without it causing pain. I, too, had all the xrays done.
I have placed a called with my physician and he will be calling me back tomorrow.
I'll keep you posted. Hang in there, and take lots of Motrin (ibuprofen)

Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

michi141 HB User

Firstly I am am sorry for what has happend to you. I want to say go for the second xray for safe gard., It could be fragile ribs but im not a doctor. with the neck I do fell that is probley the strain of the accedent on your neck, nerves and musculer ect.. I have not expirenced what you have but had a friend who did! I say go for the xray if theres nothing wrong at least u will have the peace of mind! I know that accedents like this may bring stress and uncomfort hopefully it is muscular and it will pass in time but do get reasurance that it is just that.
I hope it gose well!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
(female)

franniej HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I did go for the x-ray and it confirmed no fractured ribs. The doctor said it could be a cartilage separation but is not sure how to diagnose it radiographically. In Australia doctors have limited power to order tests other than the standard x-rays and CT scans. One thing I did find out was that I have a nice little bone fragment in my knee (my knees were impacted on the under part of the dashboard) which can only be from the accident since I have had no knee trauma for 20 years. The chest pain and back pain is so bad that the knee pain was insignificant! Kind of amusing I think that the only visible injury seems the least troublesome. I suppose I should be grateful that I have myown inbuilt airbags or I might not be here complaining.

It is great to hear input from other people who have experienced similar so I will be anxiously awaiting to hear what your doctors says mimi06. I feel your pain! Thank you both again.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Pain after car accident

Hi Frannie

I'm glad the tests showed what was causing you so much pain. I am praying for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated.

Hugs Nadine

Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
(female)

franniej HB User

Hi Nadine

Yes I have to be thankful to be alive and I am sure that with time all will be well. Thanks for the kind message and I will keep you up to date if anything exciting develops.(Maybe next week I might be able to dress myself !)

Fran

Closed Thread