It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
(male)

Ninja1 HB User
Quit smoking cold turkey...

I am 24 years old and I have been having severe anxiety--granted, my father recently passed away; however, I was wondering if quitting cigarettes cold turkey would be bad in my case (I have already stopped for about 5 months).

I am asking because I get a lot of chest discomfort and whatnot--doctors say it may be costochondritis, nevertheless, it does scare me because I am extremely active and my father died of a heart attack at 50.

I never smoked much--maybe 5 to 10 (and many days even less, some days none)--it was more of a social thing. Also, I only smoked for about a year and a half or so. There should be no danger in cold turkey for that right?

I was also wondering--I quit smoking the occasional joint about a year ago too. I used to smoke 3-4 times a week (small amounts--never more than .5 gram in a DAY) and I started having panic attacks and quit cold turkey there too.

Bottom line--is the whole cold turkey thing bad? Keep in mind I never really ABUSED cigarettes or pot.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
(male)

Ninja1 HB User
Re: Quit smoking cold turkey...

Oh, as for the chest discomfort--I've been to the ER several times. Had my bloods done--cholesterol and triglycerides as well as toponin levels. Also had about 5-6 EKG's and 2 perfect stress tests (one actually lasted roughly 17 minutes ending up at 5.5mph with a BP of 165/70).

I do not think it is my heart, however, I was wndering if quitting things cold turkey could affect your heart.

Cholesterol BTW: Total (3.1)/LDL (1.81)/HDL (.9)/Triglycerides (0.67).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

Dee101 HB User

You're young so it works in your favor ..I commend you in wanting to stop smoking .. if you decide to do it cold turkey .. and of course this is personal opnion check with your physican .. you may want to detox your body, getting rid of the toxins, drink lots of good water ... although tryptophan is said to be good for the nicotine withdrawal because of possible side effects perhaps the natural form of, bananas

Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

trust me,you just did the best possible thing you could do for yourself,really.quitting smoking(no matter how you do it) really really does make many risks to your health kind of just go away.i really seriously doubt that at this point after so much time has actually passed between quitting both the cigs and the pot,that you would be suffering from ANY real side effects from it now.thats just a pretty long stretch of time.

one thing i do know is pot can in some people really help with an ongoing anxiety issue.this 'could' be a reason why you appear to be feeling more anxiety?not to mention losing your dad.i lost mine last year almost a exactly one year ago and my anxiety and alot of other issues suddenly decided to show themselves.its a huge loss ya know?

if you have actually had all those cardiac tests done and everything came up normal,you are probably okay there(but considering your dads history,this is something that will just require a bit closer monitoring from now on).i do know,just because my hubby did this a few years ago,that costochondritis can be very very painful when that cartiledge or even muscle tears away from the rib.all hubby could do was take it easy and use anti inflammatories til things got a bit better.it does take time for this to actually heal properly.you also have to really watch what and how you lift things as it can reaggrevate this type of injury.

if your overall anxiety is really affecting your daily life,i really think just speaking to your doc about it and him helping you finding ways to help with this would really be the best way to go at this point.but you already did the best possible thing you could do for yourself just by quitting the cigs and the pot.you have regained a much longer life expectancy at the very least.cigs just are not good for our bodies,at all really(in your case in particular given your dads way too early cardiac death).i have quit and restarted so many times i can't even keep track anymore.i did happen to notice tho,when i did manage to quit,my anxiety got a bit worse too.this will hopefully right itself for you at some point.

since you have had all the right cardiac type testing done with nothing found,at least you can rule that out pretty much.this just could be the costo or something else that is causing this to occur too.just keep an eye on any possible symptoms then see your doc about it again of this persists.thats about all you can do at this point.finding different ways to manage your anxiety without the use of any types of meds would also be very helpful to you too.there are alot of different ways to do this.just do a bit of research on it.i hope you start feeling better soon.please let me know how you are doing,K? FB

Closed Thread