It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

May76 HB User
Need Doctor Advice

I'm in the middle of some health issues. I'm not happy with my GP. Last week, I met with a new GP. The day after I met with him, I found out I needed a referral to get into the neurosurgeon I want. I didn't feel comfortable calling him as I just met him, and all my paperwork was with the original GP.

So, I called and left a message with the original GP to see if they could make the referral. The nurse called back yesterday and was all confused - then never called me back.

Tonight I had a follow-up appointment with the second GP and decided to definitely switch to him. He also said he's make a personal call to refer me and try to get me in quickly.

I'm worried now that the original GP did make an appt. and didn't follow up with me. I don't want the second GP to be mad that I was still dealing with them after our first appointment.

So - I was thinking of calling my initial GP tomorrow and telling them NOT to make a referral and asking if they did ever call. I'm assuming the receptionist would be the one to call, right? So she should know? Any advice? I really don't want to to tick of this new doctor - I like him

Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: Need Doctor Advice

May 76,

Choosing a GP is a personal choice and choosing to switch is also.I would'nt be worried about upsetting anyone, it's YOUR choice. As far as your appt. dilema with neurosurgeon, If your sure the NEW GP IS going to make an appt for you, I would go to your original GP and sign a release to have all your records transfered over to your new GP.
I would imagin that "IF" they both had called an made referals that the receptionist at the NEURO'S office would take notice and give you a call? You could call the neurosurgeon's office and explain the situation to them and let them know the change your making with GP's that way they will have a heads up.
I had a situation where I had been recieving care at a Major Medical facility, and ANOTHER medical problem came up, I asked my GP if she could refer me to a GYN/ONC at the Major medical facility and try to get the appt set for when my other appts were also scheduled so I wouldnt have to make a second 600 mile trip. She said, "Well its probably TOO LATE to get in then" and wouldnt even try! I went home, and called the Major Medical Facility MYSELF, explained the situation, and GOT THE APPT! Well a WEEK later, my GP's office called me saying that they had JUST called the MMfacility..and they had been informed that i ALREADY HAD an APPT., that I had sceduled it. I said , Yea and is there a problem with that? Well of course the answer was "NO". Thats where my GP learned something about me. That Im SERIOUS about my HEALTH, and that I will do what I have to to recieve the BEST medical care Im INTITLED TO!
I still continue to have her as my Primary Doctor here at home, but because of the complexity of my medical issues, I also continue to go to the Major medical facility and she has NO PROBLEMS with that. She actually loves the fact that Im so informed about my complex medical issues. THere is a mutual respect between us.
This issue is about YOU, and YOUR HEALTH CARE! You dont have to be rude, or disrespectful to get what you need, you just have to make it clear, that you are being your OWN ADVOCATE for your health care, it is'nt personal your simply doing what you feel is BEST for YOU. Good Doctors will actually respect that!

Please let us know how you make out.

Take care, and God bless,
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread