It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
(male)

sstark HB User
painful bump in my hand

I have chatcott marie tooth, which is a degenerative muscle disease that effects the nerve endings furthest from my spine: hands and feet. I have 1/3rd reflexes and even less strength in my hands and feet. Also have a major tremmor.

I work on computers every day.

I think I have over-worked my right hand.

there is now this bump pn the top of my hand in the middle, close to the thumb and the wrist. it's been here for at least a month. With nmost actions, there is no pain. Sometimes clicking, or pushing on something when my hand is straight or other 'normal' actions can cause extensive pain. I don't like looking at it because it gives me chills. there is also always a dull, almost un-noticable pain.

I read that with carpel tunnel, the pain in on the palm of the hand, and this is not the case here.

I would go to a doctor, but first I have to find one in Vancouver, BC that specializes in muscle and nerve disorders.

Any advice on my problem or where to find such a doctor?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Re: painful bump in my hand

Look into Ganglion Cyst...sounds like that to me. They can be removed quite easily. My ex-boyfriend had one on his foot but they are much more common in the hand. Let me know if this seems like a fitting diagnosis.

Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

shannonjord08 HB User

sstark,
My husband has the same exact form of muscle disorder. His Dad and younger brother have it also. We have a son, but he doesn't have it. My husband works mostly in an office, but does walk a bit. He started working out again(worked out here and there before) and it has helped him tremendously in walking more steadily and there is less of a limp. He has no calf muscles, so it makes it hard for him to be able to lift his foot normally. There are a lot of times that people would ask him if he was in the war or if he recently had surgery or if he has a wooden leg. It's so normal for this to happen to him. He takes care of himself and he does a lot for our family.
I just wanted to know how much is your condition similar to my hubby's.
I don't know what your bump on your hand could be. Maybe you have a muscle that popped out. I use to work in a hotel and was on the computer A LOT and would experience some pain between my thumb and my index finger and also in my wrist. I honestly think I do have carpal tunnel syndrome, but I was not diagnosed. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
Shannon

Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
(male)

sstark HB User

tattos > Yes, that does sound like it. It's only about the size of a dime from what I can see, so it should just go away on it's own if I stop using it that much?

Shannon > I can walk just fine, however I am only 25. My calf muscles have always been rather large, however my forearms not so much. Recently my feet and knees have been getting a little worse, and I have decided that I will not drive anymore because I don't trust my own reflexes. Once in a while it feels like I am pulling my wrist out of its socket or something when pulling a shirt sleve in a jacket, but it just goes right back. hurts but not for long. A lot of stiffness, and little feeling in the feet and fingers. In reality, most people do not notice. None of my family has this, I'm the only one.

also, for some weird reason I am able to lock my feet so that I can walk on the balls of my feet all day... if I were a girl, that would be great, but I'm not so it's kind of a useless thing. I always assumed it was because of the CMT.

Last edited by sstark; 03-06-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

"tattos > Yes, that does sound like it. It's only about the size of a dime from what I can see, so it should just go away on it's own if I stop using it that much?"

Sometimes it goes away on its own. When my ex had it he assumed it would just go away (occasionally it does) but it didn't and got infected and VERY painful! He ended up in the ER to have it removed. I would suggest going to the doctor and see what they say. He had it cut open, removed and they put "packing" in there and he was given antibiotics. It did take quite awhile to heal but now he has no problems. Being that you work on computers it might put you out of commission for a bit if you have it removed but if you don't have it removed and it gets bigger and/or infected you will be worse off. So definitely go to the doctor. I wish you luck. Given it is a medical issue they would probably allow a leave of absence for such an issue especially since you use your hands/fingers daily working in the computer field. Don't wanna mess with your money makers.

Bella

Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

sstark HB User

That there is the other problem... self employed. I hope ot goes away, it's still fairly new. Thank you very much.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

No problem. Wish you luck. Perhaps you could do pencil typing, pain in the but, but it might be possible just to get through it if you decide to get it removed..

Bella

Closed Thread