It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
(male)

matty_boston HB User
Antibiotics - How long do the side effects take to "wear off"

Hi,

I have been taking doxycycline (antibiotic) for a couple of weeks and it has been causing some stomach issues. I can't wait for the day I can stop using it! I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take for the side effects to wear off after I stop using it. I heard that even though you stop using an antibiotic, it is still in your bloodstream and may take a while to wear off.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Antibiotics - How long do the side effects take to "wear off"

Hi matty. How long will you be on Doxy?

I don't know if you are aware, but there are some important tips about taking Doxy. Do not have any diary, magnesium, or iron products within two hours of taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. Is it making you nauseous? It can cause this. Try eating something substantial and non-dairy before taking it. When I took Doxy, what helped me was to eat some kind of sandwich with protein. Avoid the sun. You can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is very painful. Drink a full glass of water when you take it for the same reason.

When taking antibiotics, it is important to take high-quality acidophilus capsules. They replace the good bacteria and help prevent yeast overgrowth. The best ones to get are refrigerated and have a high culture count. Most healthfood stores carry them. This may help with some stomach issues. Wait at least two hours after taking the antibiotic to take the acidophilus.

Antibiotics can stay in your system for a few days after you stop taking them. Call your pharmacist to find out how long Doxy can.

I hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
(male)

matty_boston HB User

Thanks Ticker.

I have been on Doxy for 2 weeks now. Symptoms began about day 4 with nausea and acid reflux. I am taking with food and I am drinking plenty of water. Worst part of the day is usually in the am. My stomach wakes me up in the morning as it is upset and sometimes I am nauseous. I have to be on Doxy for 2 more weeks.

Did you get the same side effects as me?

I will call the pharmacy today and ask.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Matt, I agree with ticker about taking acidophilus whenever you take an antibiotic. You can get this by eating yogurt everyday too, which of course is an easier way.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
(male)

matty_boston HB User

Thanks Sannah,

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the vitamin store at lunch. I did pick up a yogurt (Columbo) at the cafe. It says it does contain L acidophilus. Just wondering how that might compare to a tablet?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is not as strong but yogurt should be strong enough for someone who doesn't have any underlying gut flora problems who just wants to replace what is lost while taking antibiotics. We only eat the yogurt with antibiotics and save the supplements for when we need a stronger dose (to resist travelers diarrhea, when allergies are really bad, etc.).

Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
(male)

matty_boston HB User

Sannah,

How much yougurt is enough? I had one small container (8oz) today. How much do I need to eat?

Thanks again!

Matty

Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eat that much everyday while you are taking antibiotics (and longer if your stomach still gives you trouble). We eat yogurt almost every day just to keep our guts healthy.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
(male)

matty_boston HB User

Thanks for your help!

Matty

Closed Thread