It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
(male)

ryancthompson9 HB User
Worried about mis diagnosed labrum tear

I received the results of my shoulder injection/MRI today and the doctor says, or whoever interprets the MRI, that I have a torn labrum. Here is what really worries me though. I fell and landed on my arm at an odd position. However, all my pain is between the back and side of my shoulder. The tear they found is at the very front of my shoulder and even the doctor stated that it was "A Typical" for me to be having my pain where I do and none in the front. He wants to preform surgery and fix the torn labrum, but I am very uncomfortable doing that when the tear is nowhere near where my pain is. When they did the injection they did it in the front of the shoulder and not near where the pain is, and also, I worry that whoever interpreted the results, saw that tear and thought they found the problem and stopped looking. Has anyone else had a tear in the labrum in the front of the shoulder and had their pain in a totally different location than the tear??? Thank all and God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
Re: Worried about mis diagnosed labrum tear

It's your body..so dont give in to what they say. I also have a shoulder injury but i'm working on it slowly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Worried about mis diagnosed labrum tear

i would most definitely obtain a second opinion here before really consenting to anything. it really doesn't appear that the ortho you are seeing now really fully understands your condition or situation right now. and is not even trying to explain why you may be having pain where you are away from the injury site. did he say anything at all about that to you? while your tear may be in a different place than your pain,in some cases,depending upon mostly what actually is involved,you can have whats called "referred pain' to other areas where there is not an actual injury. its all in how the nerves run and what got affected.

a good ortho can tell alot by simply doing range of motion testing on you. this would just show what is working and how well when he moves your arm in certain posistions. i just went thru my own shoulder hell with a rotator cuff repair.believe me,i feel your pain. between the MRI and the ROM,and actually LISTENING to the patients complaints of pain or inability to move or pain upon movements,any 'good' ortho would pretty much know whats up. i just think you may need a 'better" orthosurgeron. it never hurts to obtain second opinions. espescially in your particular case.

it could be that the ortho IS actually noting what you said about injury vs where your pain presents,and is planning on doing an arthroscope of the whole area anyways but is just not mentioning that to you? quite frankly,most surgeons really are not the best conversationalists around,believe me,i have had to have seven surgeries since 01.

what the arthoscopic type surgeries that orthos do(this was part of my recent surgery too)is while they are doing whatever actual repairs,they will also scope out other areas too and take good looks around at things just to make certain everything else,espescially where the patient has complained of having direct pain,is okay or is in need of repairs as well. in most cases,these types of surgeries are not just a straight,"we are going to fix this and only this" type of a surgery. not when it surrounds any type of actual joint. they usually check out the joint areas pretty thoroughly just becasue so many different structures are invloved in making the joint work properly,you know what i mean? my ortho did this with both my knee surgeries and my shoulder decomp and repair surgery.

you DO in most cases have the option to just seek out a second opinion when considering any type of surgery. but i do think just asking this particular surgeon just what he plans to actually do with yours would be the best way to go for now. if you do not like the answers or you just really don;t 'feel" that he really is addressing your concerns about your pain and injury issues,move onto another. there are good surgeons and bad surgeons. i have had the benefit and misfortune of having both at some point. after asking all the right questions it just really comes down to your overall 'gut feeling' about the surgeon. some are really great but suck at actually simply expressing themselves or actually talking to people(there is a good reason some people become surgeons).

but no matter what,you DO have the absolute right to know just exactly what is going to take place during any surgery. its called informed consent, they HAVE TO tell you what the surgery will actually involve,its the law. i do wish you luck with this. please let me know what you find out,K? FB

Closed Thread