It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
(male)

Lukelyus HB User
Unhappy Knee troubles, nobody seems to want to do anything!

Hi there, I'm new here - so first post!!

So basically for quite a long time (about 2 going on 3 years) I've been experiencing 'muscular' pains around my left knee.

It's an ache, like say you just started training and you were running a mile or whatever you'd imagine your leg muscles ache a bit right? It's like that but constantly, on and on, under the knee, or like when you bang it against something hard - that kind of ache, but under the knee - but again, like most of the time. I have seen two doctors about it, they've both said it's probably just 'growing pains'... 1st one prescribed a cream called Algesal, the other prescribed ibuprofen tablets and I've also tried deep heat cream and ibuprofen gel. None of it seems to work.

If anything, deep heat makes the skin feel very cold like its burning, the ibuprofen tablets make me feel a bit nauseus (I tend to probably be taking them at the wrong time of day!), the gel doesn't do anything but make a mess and algesal is very greasy and messy and has no effect.

I am aware I'm generally quite a clumsy person I'm always knocking it on the corners of tables and stuff, y'know the feeling?

I haven't ever fractured, broken or injured it in any other way.

But particularly this week so far it's been noticably worse than ever. I was kicked in the back of the leg by a younger student from my school, it started to get a bit worse then... calmed down for a bit and now for no apparent reason it's a lot worse. Like. Uncomfortable to sit/stand in certain positions, and I'm aware I did wake up face down on my pillow this morning! First time that's ever happened, and trying to sleep with it was uncomfortable. Getting around school, up and down stairs was uncomfortable and on unlevel grounds whilst on my way home.

I don't know if I want to go and see another doctor, if it'll just go by itself, or if I'll just end up asking (and I won't get taken) or it will get worse and worse. They wouldn't investigate it last time and my mum likes to think I'm a hypochondriac, despite being a nurse (she's got all those clever little jokes to crack... "Pain is what the nurse says it is, not what the patient says it should be) SO I've pretty much given up there and come to seek advice here!!

Being only 15 I'm sure whatever these pains are, they're probably not arthritis... I don't suspect them to be. But, if anyone has kindly taken the time to think about this and has any idea what this could all be about , I'm open to suggestions and thoughts!! Even in my young age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Knee troubles, nobody seems to want to do anything!

have you ever actually been referred to a good ortho doc for an evaluation of the knee? this would be the very best type of doc to see for your type of issue. also,obtaining an MRI would actually show all the inside structures within the knee and be able to show whether or not there is some actual tear or strain or other issues that can come along with the knee joints. our joints are just one of the more complicated areas of our bodies since so many different things(muslce tendon cartledge and nerves)all come into them. each thing is susceptable to a certain level of damage. the knee joint actually has a bigger job since they also bear all our weight and take punishment when we run or even walk.my knees took alot of wear and tear over the years(i am only 47) but i did have some big right knee problems which required two surgeries to fix. the damage only showed up on the MRI i had done.

i am kind of suprised with your mom being an actual nurse and your pain having gone on so long that she has not taken it upon her self to just try and find out why the pain is actually there? having any type of pain for even as long as one year is just way overlong to go without knowing why its there(and this has been 2-3?) what you described could just be so many possible things it would really be the best ideas here to have that MRI or at least have this evaluated by a good ortho surgeon just to see how the knee movements are. this can show certain problems to a trained eye like that of a ortho. but i do think this has really gone on long enough. you just need to know whats going on so you can get help with this.

i would seriously speak with your mom or dad? about this and make her realize just how bad this is for you so she will at least get you to the right doctor. you just really need to know what is causing your pain. good luck and please let me know what you find out hon. FB

Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

rubysmom667 HB User

try the heat wraps, heating pads etc. Main thing is go to a ortho dr. or a rhemuy dr.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
(male)

Lukelyus HB User

Having taken all things here into consideration... sounds like I'm on my way to a doctor fairly soon.

I hope they manage to get somewhere this time.

Cos I can't be doing with more ibuprofen, nurofen, algesal... the lot really, it's ineffective. And this is too much for me to live with for too much longer. It did *crack* a bit when at school today. Finished lessons for lunch break, headed off to the loo and just as I was walking it just made a few little popping sounds (that's not a good sign is it?!) - it did the same last night when I was finished at the PC, I got up and it just went.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you really,really do need to have an MRI done. going to the doc and having this evaluated along with getting a referral for that MRI really are the best things you can do at this point. like i mentioned before,this has gone on way too long already. good luck and please keep us posted on what you find out,K? FB

Old 03-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
(male)

Lukelyus HB User
Unhappy Re: Knee troubles, nobody seems to want to do anything!

Oh joy.

I've been looking at the MRI stuff... I had a vague idea of what MRI enticed, but I didn't know it was THAT. I'm not sure if I like the sound of MRI scans!

A further update: 9:10 a.m. Monday, have doctor's appointment. Let's see. But I promise you I'm not walking out of there with more anti-inflammatories! No corticosteroid, ibuprofen etc... can't be taking that stuff all the time!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

what exactly do you mean by "i didn't know it was THAT"? MRIs really are not all that bad,trust me,i have had like 16 of them done on various body parts,but mostly my c spine(neck) area. doing my knee was about the simplest one of them all. they do NOT place you inside the tube for the knee one,just the lower part of your body goes in,just enough to get the knee inside the scanner,not the head first.

the knee actually only takes about maybe 20 minutes to half an hour at most. pretty much in and out. no pain at all. you would be just fine for a little while that it takes. this just really does need to be done in your case hon,really. this would actually finally show the inside of your knee so anything that may be causing your ongoing problem could be revealed. doing a CT would possibily work but just would not show the full depth and the right angles to really see into the structures of your knee like an MRI would.

if you really want this to get better at some point you just have to really find out for certain what the problem actually is in there. the MRI is much better than them having to do an actual arthroscopic type surgery just to see whats up and what the problems are ya know?

sometimes we just have to do things that we may not actually like or really want to do just because it is the right thing to do for us or our health. i am sure you can handle an MRI hon. pretty simple stuff,really. a bit noisy,but they DO give you headphones so you can listen to music. just get this evaluated by your doc and get the MRI done and overwith. this will help ALOT in trying to figure out what is causing your pain. it would appear if this was actually going to get better on it's own,it really would have happened way before now ya know? please let me know how things go,K? you will be just fine with the MRI. FB

Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
(male)

Lukelyus HB User

Just been to doctor. Bought appointment forward.

Well. Just as I suspected. Nothing. No referral. Just a recommendation that I try MORE ibuprofen and other stuff, just because it's "common" to experience these pains.

Supposedly, if it gets worse, I could have physio... but that's all.

Crap outcome unfortunately.

Still as uncomfortable as ever.

They're trying to get me to stay off it if I can, banned from using certain seated positions but it's not working!! Force of habit.

Closed Thread