It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

cutie777 HB User
varicose veins - signs and symptoms?

Ok, I've posted quite a few queries about this awful subject. I am soooo paranoid about getting varicose veins (I have a few veins quite visible) as my mum has them.

I have a few questions:-

Are veins that are visible through the skin classified as varicose? Or do they have to be actually popping out?

What are the signs and symptoms of a varicose vein starting? I have an almost constant pain just below my calf muscle on my left leg and I'm terrified it's one starting.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by cutie777; 03-30-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Re: varicose veins - signs and symptoms?

I have had varicose vein galore all over both legs! It started when I was in my teens. I was pregnant and was a waitress. Recipe for disaster if it runs in the family!
Thankfully, I have recently gotten them taken out about 3 years ago with a simple procedure.
I was tortured with them for years.

Anyway, for people with fair skin it is usually easy to see the veins underneath and that does not necessarily mean that they are varicose veins. Varicose veins are the ones that bulge out. And they are quite ugly.
The spider veins are noticeable but, not nearly as ugly. They are just small thin veins that are pretty easy to see but, they can easily be covered with makeup or something whereas the varicose veins cannot get covered!

The best thing I can recommend that you do to help yourself not get varicose veins is to lose weight if you are overweight, elevate your feet whenever possible, get plenty of exercise and keep your blood circulating good, eat healthy and drink plenty of water and over all take good care of yourself.

Doing all that though is not a sure proof varicose vein thing though, I think if someone is going to be getting them they will probably get them but, you can make it not be as bad.

These days though, it is a very simple thing to do of getting rid of them if need be.

Oh, I am so learned on this subject because I have been there and done that where these are concerned and I could go on forever but, this is already too long.
If you've read it all thanks, lol....

Oh yes, the signs and symptoms? Well, the best I could tell you is if your legs feel heavy and achy that could be a symptom.
Only time will tell though. If they do appear don't be distraught! It is fixable! I have pictures of myself to prove it, although they aren't allowed on here.
I wear short shorts all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to chocolate29 For This Useful Post:
finpol (08-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

some have them deep inside
however most are usually big and round sticking out

Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
(female)

cutie777 HB User

Thank you so much for the replies!

I do have fair skin and that's probably why some are showing through the skin. They are not sticking out and come to think of it my mother also has fair skin and her's are also not sticking out, just visible. Still not nice though.

How awful chocolate29 that your started when you were a teenager!! That's not fair. I always linked varicose veins with age!

I'm not overweight (although I was) and I wear compression stockings at night. I also eat well and walking everyday, so hopefully that's enough to keeps those suckers at bay!!

Thanks again guys

Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

ann043 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate29 View Post
I have had varicose vein galore all over both legs! It started when I was in my teens. I was pregnant and was a waitress. Recipe for disaster if it runs in the family!
Thankfully, I have recently gotten them taken out about 3 years ago with a simple procedure.
I was tortured with them for years.

Anyway, for people with fair skin it is usually easy to see the veins underneath and that does not necessarily mean that they are varicose veins. Varicose veins are the ones that bulge out. And they are quite ugly.
The spider veins are noticeable but, not nearly as ugly. They are just small thin veins that are pretty easy to see but, they can easily be covered with makeup or something whereas the varicose veins cannot get covered!

The best thing I can recommend that you do to help yourself not get varicose veins is to lose weight if you are overweight, elevate your feet whenever possible, get plenty of exercise and keep your blood circulating good, eat healthy and drink plenty of water and over all take good care of yourself.

Doing all that though is not a sure proof varicose vein thing though, I think if someone is going to be getting them they will probably get them but, you can make it not be as bad.

These days though, it is a very simple thing to do of getting rid of them if need be.

Oh, I am so learned on this subject because I have been there and done that where these are concerned and I could go on forever but, this is already too long.
If you've read it all thanks, lol....

Oh yes, the signs and symptoms? Well, the best I could tell you is if your legs feel heavy and achy that could be a symptom.
Only time will tell though. If they do appear don't be distraught! It is fixable! I have pictures of myself to prove it, although they aren't allowed on here.
I wear short shorts all the time.
Hi, I am 28 and have a varicose vein on the front of my leg.. I went to a surgeon last week and he said I should get vnus closure done.. I was wondering what procedure you had done and if it was painful.. this whole thing freaks me out..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

lady7 HB User

hi, I am in the process of getting vnus closure. It is not painless, but anything will be better than the horrible veins I have had for years. I have never been able to wear shorts or swimming suits because my veins were big. I am all bandaged up right now as I had the two legs done yesterday. I will let you know in a week or so to let you know how I am doing. I was very lucky that my insurance will be paying for my vnus closure and sceltherphy (sp). IF you don't have insurance it can be quite expensive. I will be happy to answer any questions for you about veins and what can be done about them.

Closed Thread