It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

janey22 HB User
Unhappy coumadin hematoma

my dad, 84, recently fell and twisted his knee badly. a few days later he was in extreme pain and went to hospital. it was diagnosed as gigantic hematoma from his knee up his thigh. he was there 5 days and is now at a rehab but still in pain and still very swollen. black and blue coloration is appearing now in other places , rightside above his waist and into his groin area.
no pain in those places. he can't do any physical therapy at the moment.
still taking vicodin. not eating much. nothing they can do.
it hurts me so to see him like this. i go everyday and try to make him eat.
any suggestions???? how long will this take????
i did read something that says months???? He is now off coumadin but cardiologist says he is stroke risk. do we put him back on?????
what a dilemma.
help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: coumadin hematoma

The reason he is so bruised is because of the coumadin. Which is actually a rat poisin, but that is beside the point. It is a blood thinner, and it thins the blood so much that when someone suffers a fall, such as the one your Dad took, he will bruise easily. In fact, if you grab his arm hard, I bet he will develop a bruise.

There are other blood thinners out on the market, did his cardiologist try any of them, or is your dad sensitive to them? What about a plain aspirin? Won't that work for your dad?

You will need to weigh the risks with the advantages of the coumadin and decide when to put him back on it....

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User
Re: coumadin hematoma

thats what oumadin does. he will probably need to stay off of it until his blood thickens enough to close the internal bleeding. I would call the doctor and ask about the continued bruising and that its up int he groin now. Thats a lot fo blood.

the physical therapy may be hurting right now by continually making the wound bleed.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
(female)

janey22 HB User
Wink Re: coumadin hematoma

thank you for your responses.
the reason my dad was on coumadin is because of congestive heart failure.
we do actually have an appt. with the cardiologist to discuss the options.
my dad is still in pain and is out of the hospital and at the rehab now. they can't get him out of bed because the pain is really bad if he sits in the wheel chair . the swelling does seem to be going down and i haven't checked his groin area lately but the bruising I saw above his waist is disappearing so i am assuming the groin is getting better also. the doctor at the rehab did his 5 min. check and just said yep you are swollen. my dad has alot of mucus draining also and keeps coughing so they give him robitussin and he tries to cough it up. they say its from just laying in bed.
he is still taking vicodin although not as much. he doesn't eat much but is drinking alot. can't go to bathroom so he isn't happy about diapers.
i go to see him every day. nothing really to do. but i am concerned if he is at risk for a stroke so we should deal with that soon.
his blood tests will be taken in a few days and his protine will be checked.
any other comments????

Closed Thread