It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

crafter126 HB User
leg aches and pains

I have been having aches in my legs and some pain in spots occasionally. My legs just feel week and tired. My doctor gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxer which did nothing. Now my doctor reccommends I get an EMG (leg and nerve test) Has anyone ever had this? What were the results and what was done?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
(male)

colcath HB User
Re: leg aches and pains

I had a emg 3yrs ago my legs were tired and muscle twitching the test came back slight nerve damage not much been done neuro said it was coming from a thoracic disc pressing onto the spinal nerves was due to have an op but was cancelled because of the risks.so nothing been done just pain killers.As for the emg not very pleasent they insert a needle into the muscle and take readings from nerves and muscle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

crafter126 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcath View Post
I had a emg 3yrs ago my legs were tired and muscle twitching the test came back slight nerve damage not much been done neuro said it was coming from a thoracic disc pressing onto the spinal nerves was due to have an op but was cancelled because of the risks.so nothing been done just pain killers.As for the emg not very pleasent they insert a needle into the muscle and take readings from nerves and muscle.
Thanks for responding.
I did have back surgery 15 years ago. My back has been fine since. What were the risks for you that they would not do the surgery?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
(male)

colcath HB User

To have the op they would have had to collapse my right lung why they did the op, my lung function is not that good due to asthma so I was classed as an high risk plus they said that the disc was pressing on the spinal cord and there was not much room to work and he said he could make matters alot worse like paraplegic, or death due to my other problems.I went into hospital twice to have the op I had to go in afew days before so they could build my lungs up to give me a better chance.the first time I had my op gown on waiting to go to theatre then they stopped it .the second time Igot to the day before the op and the neuroligist said he wanted more tests brain scan.so the neurosurgeon cancelled it again. had the brain scan and other tests wich they said was ok, but one neuroligist said that I might have a motor neurone disease wich was a bit scary but the top dog said I have not.I went back to see the neurosurgeon and that was it he said he does not want to do the op and we will wait and see .So here I am left in pain and twitching 24/7.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
(female)

crafter126 HB User

Sorry to hear your problems aren't solved Colcath. I am scheduled for Tuesday for my EMG. My legs are more achey and tired then painful. If I am on them all day they are worse.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Crafter,

Are you by any chance on a statin drug? I know they can cause achy & weak, tired muscles. Good luck to you.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
(female)

crafter126 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Crafter,

Are you by any chance on a statin drug? I know they can cause achy & weak, tired muscles. Good luck to you.
Thanks, no i am not on a statin drug.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Are you taking any meds? Sometimes the side effects of meds can cause these symptoms but doctors don't id the connection.

Other causes may be electrolyte deficiencies...an imbalance of calcium, magnesium, and potassium.

Bethsheba

Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
(female)

crafter126 HB User

I am taking blood pressure meds.

Last edited by crafter126; 04-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Bingo! Blood pressure meds are notorius for muscle aches and pains....do some research on the high and low blood pressure boards as to your medication. Sometimes the older posts contain helpful info so an advanced search would be beneficial.

I was on 5 different bp meds and I think it is safe to say all caused muscle aches, pains, and stiffness....it just differed as to the location and intensity. My docs didn't get the connection and I didn't either until I read the boards and safely stopped taking my meds.

Bethsheba

PS Pain medications can elevate blood pressure and I found that they did not help, either. My aches/pains/stiffness disappeared almost immediately or from 4-6 weeks (depending on the med) after discoing the medication.

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-30-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
(female)

crafter126 HB User

Thanks so much for your info. I will check out the blood pressure boards.
I have been on bp meds for years. Is it possible to have the side effects after like 3 yrs? Now what are you doing to control your blood pressure?

Last edited by crafter126; 04-30-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
(female)

texan1771 HB User

Just wondering crafter did you go yet for you emg? If so I am curious how the actual test was for you...I had 2 and swore never again.they are worse than medievil torture.Just wondering.Ginger

Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafter126 View Post
... Is it possible to have the side effects after like 3 yrs? Now what are you doing to control your blood pressure?
Yes, it is possible to get side effects after 3 years...just like we can develop allergies later in life. Our bodies change over time (kidney, liver function, water and fat percentages) and some of these changes can impact the way we process and use meds. These are just a few of the reasons we may develop side effects.

How am I controlling my blood pressure? Very, very long story...but the short of it is treatment for sleep apnea (which can cause hypertension), the DASH diet, and exercise. Please note that my doctors told me I would never get off meds...but what they didn't tell me was the DASH diet, developed by US government research, can drop pressures for most people. Government research suggests that as many as 1/3 of the people on blood pressure medication can be med free with diet alone...other lifestyle changes can reduce or eliminate bp meds for others. The other thing that my primary and my sleep specilist didn't tell me (probably because they didn't know) is that cpap treatment for sleep apnea can reduce pressures more than 10 points (again, this info complements of US government research)....my pressures were 200/100 but now they are less than normal.

I strongly believe that meds made my pressures worse. Why? I don't know but I suspect it was because the side effects of pain, poor sleep, immobility, and lethargy (to name just a few) interfered with the very things that one can do to naturally lower pressures....eat right, exercise, and get a good night's sleep.

My doctors were "good" doctors...referred by friends in the health care fields. But I found out first hand that you can't believe everything you are told...you have to check it out from a variety of sources and verify the info for yourself!

Take care!

Bethsheba

PS The prescription package inserts and the drug info sheets tend to understate side effects, probably for a number of reasons. For example, they may state "muscle aches and pains....instead of "excrucating, piercing pains"....or "dull, throbbing, on again off again pain". I experienced suicidal tendencies on one bp med, a beta blocker, and the side effect was listed as "changes in mood". I found sources, other than the med sheets, that defined "changes in mood".

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-01-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
(female)

crafter126 HB User

Hi Ginger,
I am going on Tuesday. I will let you know. My husband had it done on his hand for carpal tunnel. He did say it was a weird feeling. I don't think he wants to say too much to me until I have mine done.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
(female)

crafter126 HB User

Thanks again Bethsheba for all your info. I guess I will wait and see how the emg goes on Tuesday and then take the next step.
What bp meds were you on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Yes, it is possible to get side effects after 3 years...just like we can develop allergies later in life. Our bodies change over time (kidney, liver function, water and fat percentages) and some of these changes can impact the way we process and use meds. These are just a few of the reasons we may develop side effects.

How am I controlling my blood pressure? Very, very long story...but the short of it is treatment for sleep apnea (which can cause hypertension), the DASH diet, and exercise. Please note that my doctors told me I would never get off meds...but what they didn't tell me was the DASH diet, developed by US government research, can drop pressures for most people. Government research suggests that as many as 1/3 of the people on blood pressure medication can be med free with diet alone...other lifestyle changes can reduce or eliminate bp meds for others. The other thing that my primary and my sleep specilist didn't tell me (probably because they didn't know) is that cpap treatment for sleep apnea can reduce pressures more than 10 points (again, this info complements of US government research)....my pressures were 200/100 but now they are less than normal.

I strongly believe that meds made my pressures worse. Why? I don't know but I suspect it was because the side effects of pain, poor sleep, immobility, and lethargy (to name just a few) interfered with the very things that one can do to naturally lower pressures....eat right, exercise, and get a good night's sleep.

My doctors were "good" doctors...referred by friends in the health care fields. But I found out first hand that you can't believe everything you are told...you have to check it out from a variety of sources and verify the info for yourself!

Take care!

Bethsheba

PS The prescription package inserts and the drug info sheets tend to understate side effects, probably for a number of reasons. For example, they may state "muscle aches and pains....instead of "excrucating, piercing pains"....or "dull, throbbing, on again off again pain". I experienced suicidal tendencies on one bp med, a beta blocker, and the side effect was listed as "changes in mood". I found sources, other than the med sheets, that defined "changes in mood".

Closed Thread