It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
(male)

paborn HB User
Yearly Physical Lab work

When I have my yearly physical, I usually abstain from things such as alcohol consumption for about a week prior to lab work. I do this because I want my test results to be as accurate as possible. Some people insist that I am taking the wrong approach and I should live my normal lifestyle up to the night before fasting for the lab work. Any opinions on this? Thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Re: Yearly Physical Lab work

I agree with the people telling you that your taking the wrong approach. If you change for a week to get results are they really the right results if you live another way the rest of the time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

How can you say that your lab results are accurate when that isn't the way you normally live? The results you get do not reflect your true lifestyle, but an altered snapshot that was created for just one artificial week.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

to a certain extent this may be true with certain levels,BUT with actual organ function labs,it really doesn;t matter much. what actually shows itself in any lab number changes when we are talking function/damage(and this IS what they are testing for),is the extent of real actual damage that has affected the functions. that wouldn''t really change either way,you know what i mean? if its there,its there kind of thing.

i have polycystic kidney disease with liver involvement and my youngest son has a liver Tx,and believe me, we KNOW labs here in my house. despite my very badly heavily cystic kidneys that are over four times their norm size,all my labs as of this past feb when i had another surgery are all within the norm range. my particular damage just has not yet reached that magic threshold yet where my function deficits would show in the numbers. however,that WILL change one day,hopefully still far away?

depending upon just what it is they will be testing,i really would just ask them when you make that particular appt what THEY recommend you do to get the best most accurate numbers on all things. i do know with some labs,they want you to fast or change things a bit just for that particular type of test to come out the most accurate way. i would leave that to the clinic where you are going to be seen to dictate what you do or don;t do,ya know? they would know what is the best way to do any particular type of labs or other testing. doing things 'their" way would just give you the most realistic view overall of how well the body system functions are, and THAT is what you want to actually know. just follow their guidelines before any real testing gets done. this would assure the best accuracy of the numbers. FB

Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
(male)

paborn HB User

My Lab results are back and ALL results are within the normal range. I don't think that by abstaining from alcohol for a week made what could have been abnormal results caused by possible organ damage suddenly become normal.

Lab Highlights:

Liver
ALT = 17
AST = 24

Cholesterol
HDL (Good) = 66
LDL (Bad) = 90
TRI's - 105
Total = 177

Blood sugar = 83 (normal 65-99)

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Liver, probably not. Might change the cholesterol if you altered your diet a lot in the few days before.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
(male)

hermes370 HB User

just as an FYI, liver function tests, especially ALT/AST are incredibly finickey ... in fact a drink on the day of your lab testing can cause an elevation, especially in AST(SGOT) ... abnormal tests don't always equal significant damage ... if you drink a glass of wine the night before your labs, it's very possible that you could have minor liver inflammation, but it's not that your causing and signficant or appreciable liver "damage" ...

in terms of changing 1 week prior to your labs test, is unlikely to cause any real significant change(there may be slight variation, like as mentioned above) in your annual physical labs(unless your daily activities included illicit drug use, blood letting or something else very extreme ..)

Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
(male)

paborn HB User

Hermes, No illicit drug use, blood letting, or anything extreme here. I just felt that I should not use alcohol, pain relievers like Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and anything else that may cause the finicky types of blood tests to be abnormal. If there was something seriously wrong with me, I think it would show up in blood tests regardless if I abstained or not. Thanks

Closed Thread