It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Get cold easily and sweat easily...huh?

I have noticed over the course of my life that I am pretty sensitive to both hot and cold. I often am freezing cold if the heat is below 70, to the point where I start to shake; sometimes, not even a sweatshirt or an electric blanket turned up to the highest setting will help.

On the other hand, I seem to sweat very very easily. For example, I went out walking today in a t-shirt. It was only about 55 out and I was freezing cold. But once I started to walk for a while, I began to sweat. My back was drenched after about ten minutes of walking (not uphill).

I know that hypothyroid people have intolerance to cold, and hyperthyroid people have trouble handling the heat. Why in the world do I feel both? For the record, I had a TSH test and my results came back "acceptable", so I guess that means I am not hypo.

What could possibly make me feel these sensitivities to both hot and cold? It's very strange.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Get cold easily and sweat easily...huh?

How old are you?

I am 51 now and have been in perimenopause for a few years, and that is one of my symptoms. I either freeze to death or roast. Very seldom is there a happy in between for me.

Have you had a follicle stimulating hormone test to determine how close you are to menopause if you are in your late forties or older? Are you experiencing irregularity in your periods at all or mood swings?

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Hi Lindaru,

Unless there is something very wrong with my body, I am nowhere near the age when I should start being concerned about menopause...I'm only 20. As far as irregularity in my cycles: slightly. My periods have changed slightly, coming every five weeks for the last two months as opposed to every four. But the cold and sweating problem have bugged me for much longer than the changes in my cycle.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

Dee101 HB User

Mmm -- only 20, school, work, a hectic lifestyle? How's your eating habits; good foods or fast foods -- taking supplements, Vitamin C will better your immune system, are you taking a good multi-vitamin?

Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I think I would want more information than 'acceptable'. Also I was hyper then hypo and I was/am sensitive to heat and cold. Also ..my TSH was in the acceptable range but that didn't mean I was ok I still needed to double my medicine for me to feel better. If your lifetime sensitivity to hot/cold is a bother to you then I would suggest you go to a specialty clinic/endocrinologist for a thorough workup. One lab result doesn't make it ok. The thyroid is a powerhouse of the body it controls all the systems and when my level isn't where it should be my clue is I get diarrhea. Other people have other clues...everyone is different.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

School keeps me busy, but not so much that I have zero free time. Sometimes I have work - I have a regular client who I do work for now and then, but it isn't a constant job.

And no, I am not taking any vitamins. I'm probably also deficient in a good number of vitamins too since my diet is basically made up of sandwiches, salads and cereal (bran flakes and healthy types of cereal, not the sugary stuff). I've also been trying to be vegetarian for the last couple weeks, so I'm probably running on zero protein too.

Not sure how any of this would cause excessive sweating, though.

Closed Thread