It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

worried08 HB User
Twitching toes.

I've been experiencing twitching toes for a week now. What happens is that one of the toes on my foot randomly moves to the side and then back into position every few minutes. It only happens to the middles toes, not the pinky or big toe. It happens on both feet and all day pretty much, sometimes I don't notice it though. I haven't experienced any weakness or atrophy as far as I know as I've been doing some tests and comparing one foot to the other. It's only slightly got worse over the past week but a lot of the time I don't really care or notice it. It started one morning when I woke up and since then it's remained the same. The toes also tingle quite a bit and sometimes it feels like there is pins and needles in my feet. The only thing I've been doing differentally since it started is having very odd sleeping times. Going to bed in the early hours of the morning and waking up late in the afternoon. What does it sound like? Anything serious?

The Following User Says Thank You to worried08 For This Useful Post:
anupa (10-20-2011)
Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Twitching toes.

Have you had any injuries to your lower back?

I have sciatica and when I exert my lower back, it compresses that nerve and causes everything from twitches in my toes to foot drop (unable to control your foot to walk) to downright charley horses.

Check next time it happens to see if you also have any sensation going down your leg or from your hip down to your feet.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
(male)

worried08 HB User

No injuries to my back, although the way I sit isn't that great. I never usually have my back to the chair when I'm sitting so that can't be good for it. Also there's no sensations from my legs down to my toes during the twitch, I don't think my legs are involved really.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

The only other thing I can think of is that your foot positioning might be strange (do you tend to lay your foot on its side while you are sitting)? Do you have any tenderness in the ankles?

I am almost certain that it is an aggravated nerve and if not from higher up, perhaps from your ankles?

Lindaru

Old 05-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
(male)

worried08 HB User

No tenderness in my ankles, but I do sit usually with my feet on their side. I rarely experience the tingling or twitching when I have my foot flat on the ground. Also I think the twitching subsides a little when I'm laying on my bed. Is it possible it could be something serious though? It is worrying me a little.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

I would think unless you start experiencing pain or total numbness, you are fine. There is a nerve that runs from your ankles down through the center of your foot from your heel to your center toes.

I got to thinking about how tender that was once when my toe thing started up. Turned out for me that I also had to quit wearing shoes with high heels. That solved that problem and my husband had to change the style of boots/shoes he wears to stop some tingling in his feet.

Another thing you can try is wearing shoes that are not tight and flat soles.

Good luck!

Lindaru ;~)

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
(male)

worried08 HB User

Hmm it's been a couple of days and while the twitching hasn't got any worse, it hasn't really got much better. I'm not noticing it now as much as I used too, but I still can feel it every now and again. Is there nothing I can do to fix this? I don't think it's a problem with my shoes as I haven't been wearing them for long over the past few days.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

The last thing I can suggest is to see a doctor who specializes in foot problems.

Fortunately for me and my husband, the problems resolved from changing sitting habits and foot wear, but perhaps what is going on with you is beyond my realm of experience.

Best of luck and keep me posted.

Lindaru

Closed Thread