It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

donnie1083 HB User
wheezing when I breathe

This developed about one week ago. When I inhale every tenth to fifteenth time, I get a wheezing sound coming from my throat area. It goes away when I cough up a small amount of mucus, but comes back as described above. There is never any blood in the mucus.

I'm 54, don't smoke and have only an occassional beer. There's basically no stress in my life, as it's only my cat and I who share an apartment. (I'm divorced and my children have been on their own for years).

Could this possibly be nothing more than a bronchial disorder? Any professional advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Mod08; 06-01-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: This website is for patient to patient (not professional) support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: wheezing when I breathe

Wheezing when you have bronchial congestion is typical. Coughing it up and it stops is, too.

I have low grade asthma and go through this occasionally with the bronchial congestion. Mine is due to sinus drainage during the night or coming into contact with allergens.

As we age, some of us take on new allergies. Might you have a new allergy to your cat?

You may want to get checked if it is bothering you to see what is causing it.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
(female)

Alchemist09 HB User
Re: wheezing when I breathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie1083 View Post
This developed about one week ago. When I inhale every tenth to fifteenth time, I get a wheezing sound coming from my throat area. It goes away when I cough up a small amount of mucus, but comes back as described above. There is never any blood in the mucus.

I'm 54, don't smoke and have only an occassional beer. There's basically no stress in my life, as it's only my cat and I who share an apartment. (I'm divorced and my children have been on their own for years).

Could this possibly be nothing more than a bronchial disorder? Any professional advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Hey there,

I developed an allergy to my cats ( a year after getting them) which got prgressively worse until I developed full blown asthma. I had an allergy asseseemtn (turns out i do have an allergy) but I dont have to get rid of my babies. What i do have to do is manage it.

I dont allow them into my bedroom and in the summer months, i give them a bath every so often (they loved that ha ha - had to buy a cage to do it).

I am ok now, but I do find that if i have a drink of alchohol it triggers a reflux in me, which triggers the asthma / wheezing. I find the link quite interesting so i avoid alchohol mostly (especially at home is not a good idea). If i do drink, take some gavastgon and inhale some ventulin and i sleep fine.

The most important thing is to keep your bedroom cat free!!!!

good luck :-)

Closed Thread