It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Question Why so tired?

Hi my friends. This is my first post so please bear with me.

On Saturday, May 31st I woke up to the typical cold symptoms, i.e. runny nose, loose cough, a bit of a scratchy throat but I did not have a fever or any body aches or pains.

These symptoms continued throughout the next week and so I saw a doctor in an "after hours clinic" on Saturday, June 7th as I was still coughing up loose stuff (but no color to it). She listened to my lungs, throat, checked my ears and nose and prescribed Nasonex to take twice in each nostril twice a day.

Throughout the next week the cough and runny nose cleared up but I started feeling absolutely exhausted all the time with no energy nor any desire to do anything other than sit or lie down. I still had no fever or chills, but when I did anything I got this clammy, perspiring, especially on my forehead and I was "beat".

I must say that I had been sleeping in my easy chair in the living room for these two weeks with a blanket as I found it mucn more comfortable than lying down, even with my head propped up.

So, I made an appointment and saw another doctor at an "after hours clinic" this past Saturday, June 14th. She examined my lungs, throat, ears and tapped my head and said that I probably had sinusitis and prescribed an antibiotic called amoxilcillin which I started taking that day (3 500mg capsules per day for 10 days). She said I looked pale so she had me get a blood test on Monday for a CBC. She said that sinusitis and colds this time of the year around here are especially tough to shake and many people have them for 2-3 weeks.

I felt so tired on Tuesday (yesterday) that I went to the E.R. and went through all my symptoms with an E.R. doctor. He said that "we'll find out what's going on". Since my left leg had been bothering me too (I thought it might be sleeping in the chair), he ordered an ultrasound of my leg along with x-rays of my sinuses (4 panel) and lungs (two views). Plus he checked on the bloodwork from Monday.

Well, after about two hours, the results were all in and we chatted in his office. My sinuses were completely clear, my lungs were perfectly normal and clear, the ultrasound was excellent as was the CBC. So, of cours, I asked him why, then was I still exhausted. He said that everything being normal that I was in all liklihood resting too much. He says that in cases like mine, too much rest is often worse than too little rest. He said that I was letting my body "get out of shape" and not giving it a chance to fight the illness. He prescribed simply to go about life normally and eventually I will feel back in shape and the tiredness will eventually go away. He also said to get back to sleeping in bed with the same hours each night to get my body back to regulated sleep patterns.

I asked him if I should continue the antibiotic if my sinuses showed clear and he said that he could not go against another doctor and to continue unless I discussed it with her. He said it wouldn't hurt anyway.

So, last night I was back in my bed. I had a fairly good night's sleep. I went about my business today as if I didn't have a cold or anything but this evening I am exhausted. I guess this will take time.

Meanwhile, I still am stuffed up (that never went away) and I am blowing my nose and my eyes feel tired and hot. My pharmacist is sure I have allergies contributing to the problem. I have never had allergies in my life and I am in my 50's but my pharmacist says they can start at any time. I am wondering why the doctors never thought of this? And, also, can allergies contribute to this tired feeling and lack of energy?

I apologize for being so rambling, but I am just wondering if you kind folks can think of anything that I forgot to ask the doctors or if I am missing anything. Just how long can this exhaustion last? It will be three weeks this coming Saturday. Yet, again, if the doctors are saying this can last 2-3 weeks, well.......

Thanks, my friends, for any ideas you may have for me.

Rob.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Why so tired?

I have allergies and know that when you are congested, you do not breathe normally and often do not get as much oxygen (needed for energy) as you need. I have low grade asthma and have to wear house dust masks to clean house. Not being able to get enough air through them means I get tired very quickly and have to take frequent breaks.

I would go with the sinusitis diagnosis and the allergy suggestion. It is miserable to have the two together but I have had it many times. Staying on the antibiotics is the right thing to do at this point.

What I have also discovered when recovering from sinusitis or even a bad cold is that it seems your body gives priority to your immune system over other areas, causing some fatigue and exhaustion.

Yes, you do need to get up and do things but you need to do them only to where you can handle them. If you start feeling like you are going to drop or you are having trouble breathing, stop. Go sit for about 15 minutes. Get up and resume what you were doing. Repeat as needed. Your body will respond to doing things (like the one doctor said) but it is going to take time.

Good luck!

Lindaru

Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
(male)

flyer99 HB User

Thanks Lindaru. I was just wondering though if I do have sinusitis when the x-rays of my sinuses showed that they were perfectly clear? I sure appreciate your comments and I agree that I should not get overtired and that it will take time. Rob.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Your sinuses may show clear on an x-ray and the thumping they did on your cheek bones may feel hollow now, but it takes a while for the bacteria that originated from the virus in your sinuses to be completely gone, which is why you need to finish the antibiotics.

Also, if a couple of weeks go by and the sinus infection seems to come back, you will need to get back in to the doctor. Some take a few times around to get knocked out of your system. Amoxicillin is good but sometimes is not strong enough. Cephalexin is usually tried if Amoxicillin does not work (same antibiotic family, more powerful).

Good luck!

Lindaru

Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
(male)

flyer99 HB User

Thanks so much, Lindaru. That explains it nicely. Rob.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
... She listened to my lungs, throat, checked my ears and nose and prescribed Nasonex to take twice in each nostril twice a day...
Are you still taking the Nasonex? Nasonex is a steroid which means it can lower the blood cells that help your body fight infections, and of course, infections can make you tired. The effects of steroids can linger after discontinuing them but it depends on the individual.
If you are still taking nasonex, and you might want to check with a pharmacist to see if you should continue to take it, given your "infection" and antibiotic treatment.

Quote:
... He says that in cases like mine, too much rest is often worse than too little rest. He said that I was letting my body "get out of shape" and not giving it a chance to fight the illness. He prescribed simply to go about life normally and eventually I will feel back in shape and the tiredness will eventually go away.
Hogwash.

Bethsheba

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

kesskess20 HB User

hi rob,
question: have you ever had mono? if you have, it is very unlikely that you'd get it again, but what you're describing sounds much like how i felt when i had mono. my doctor didn't test me for it until about a month after my initial visit, at my insistence. it can last for several weeks to a month or two. it might be worth looking into. ---KL

Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
(male)

flyer99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Are you still taking the Nasonex? Nasonex is a steroid which means it can lower the blood cells that help your body fight infections, and of course, infections can make you tired. The effects of steroids can linger after discontinuing them but it depends on the individual.
If you are still taking nasonex, and you might want to check with a pharmacist to see if you should continue to take it, given your "infection" and antibiotic treatment.

Hogwash.

Bethsheba
I stopped taking the Nasonex after I saw the ER doc and yesterday (Thursday) I started to finally feel better. It really didn't do too much for me anyway, so it seemed. As far as the rest thing, I agreed with him to some point in that I really wasn't doing anything. I'm retired but if I was working, I probably would have been at work. ANyway, I am doing "my thing" now for a couple of days and I do feel better. I still think I have some allergies.

Rob.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
(male)

flyer99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesskess20 View Post
hi rob,
question: have you ever had mono? if you have, it is very unlikely that you'd get it again, but what you're describing sounds much like how i felt when i had mono. my doctor didn't test me for it until about a month after my initial visit, at my insistence. it can last for several weeks to a month or two. it might be worth looking into. ---KL
I have never had mono. I appreciate your comments and I do have an appointment with my family doctor in two weeks and if this still lingers I will certainly make it a point to talk to him about it. I assume there are tests that will tell if I have this????? I feel a bit better today and yesterday but I still think I have some allergies. What tests do they give for mono????? Thanks.

Rob.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
(female)

jcjwillis HB User

Sorry to hear you have been feeling bad! My daughter just got over having mono and a blood test showed that she had it.

Hope this helps you and your feeling better soon!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I devoped mono late in life and I would have to say I would agree with the other posters about mono being a possibility.

Sometimes steroids are prescribed to reduce the inflammation that mono can cause...in my case, it was prednisone.

IF you have mono, and IF they write a rx, do some very serious reading about the med BEFORE getting it filled. I had two years of problems with what I thought was mono aftereffects only to find years later it was due to the prednisone (steroid).

Bethsheba

Old 06-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
(female)

Armella HB User

So sorry to hear this well my uncle is also facing this problem.

Closed Thread