It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
(male)

worriedsick24 HB User
Red face Pain in Right side of Back, Chest and Under Arm!!!

First off, thank you for your time and your reply if you leave one.

I am a 26 year old male and in the last 2 years I have had a pain that generally starts later in the day of pretty much everyday. The pain usually starts on the right side of my back as a throbbing and achy pain. My chest usually starts hurting in the same spot, just front of my body as well. Same sort of pain, throbbing and achy. It can also be a sharp shooting pain as well sometimes, just not as often. I also have the same pain about 3-4 inches under my right arm pit. The pain in my back is right around my shoulder blade area and the pain in my chest is about 2-3 inches above the nipple. Pain has been increasingly worst over the last 2 years and I am personally scared to go to the doctor about it. I know that is stupid, but what can I say. About 4 years ago, I had a bad pinched nerve on the same side and was treated and xrayed at a chriopractor for about 2 months and the nerve pain went away. I believe it might have something to do with that, because I am overweight and have bad posture. I have asked a few nurses and alot of people what it could be, they all say probably pinched nerve. It scares me though because I smoke. I have smoked regularly since about 18, but I have no breathing problems. Just everyday pain as I described above. I'm not sure what to do about it, other than man up and go to the doctor. Wondering if someone else has experienced these problems or have known someone who has. I read on a few sites that it could be heartburn, which I have but doesn't seem like heartburn can do this. Also, one site said something about gall stones, but remember this has been going on for two years now. Please reply with any helpful knowledge and thank you again in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
(male)

worriedsick24 HB User
Re: Pain in Right side of Back, Chest and Under Arm!!!

Sorry to repost, but I forgot to mention one other symptom. I have noticed when I turn my neck as if looking over my back, the pain in my back is very sharp at the spot that throbs. Not sure if it is related, but I would think so. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

bubblegum3p HB User

i have this same exact thing! sometimes it even is hard to take in a breath it's like sharp stabbing pain if i turn to the right real quick! lemme know if you find out what this is, i also smoke and am afraid to tell my dr. noone wants to be told about lung cancer...trust me thats what im afraid of!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
(male)

worriedsick24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum3p View Post
i have this same exact thing! sometimes it even is hard to take in a breath it's like sharp stabbing pain if i turn to the right real quick! lemme know if you find out what this is, i also smoke and am afraid to tell my dr. noone wants to be told about lung cancer...trust me thats what im afraid of!

If i find out what this is, I will definitely tell you. Please do the same for me. How long have you had these symptoms and were they gradual? How old are you also?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

bubblegum3p HB User

ok, my pain has been on and off for a couple years now. lately its been here for about a month now. somedays it doesnt bother me other days it does. i went to ER once cuz it was hurting soooo bad and was told it was probably gallbladder. the doc said that usually pain in the right shoulder blade, shoulder, chest and nausea, stomach pain is gallbladder related. he prescribed me lortab 7.5mg. 3x's a day and drink lots of water and low fat diet. that helps alot! as soon as i start to feel the pain in my back or hurting when i take a deep breath i take a lortab and drink 2 glasses of water. it helps. i still wish they would have done a chest xray though. but if it happens again like that i will go back to ER and request a chest xray..........hey, it's better off to be told it's stomach related than sitting here with cancer! good luck and keep me posted...you can email me if you wish.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
(male)

worriedsick24 HB User
Talking Re: Pain in Right side of Back, Chest and Under Arm!!!

Well, that sounds alot like my situation. I have never really been the analytical kind, so I wouldn't know if certain things I eat cause it. But I will be the first to tell you, my diet isn't that of a champions. Makes me feel better for you and I both that the doctor told you that. I had an xray of my neck about a month ago due to car accident, I think they xrayed far enough to see my chest so I'm sure radiology would have seen something like cancer. They didn't report anything unusual, which is good. My pain gets really bad sometimes too, but I have a good tolerance. I also have sudden onsets of nausea, I have noticed I don't have to do anything to trigger them. I start feeling extremely hot and then bam, I feel as though I have to vomit. The feeling can stay from anywhere from up to 15 minutes to an hour sometimes, but it does subside. I don't have any other illnesses I'm aware of or if the nausea is related, when you mention gallbladder symptoms it does sound an awful lot of what I have. What can they do to remedy the situation other than pacify it with a bottle of pills. As to I am not a surgery happy guy, I broke my pelvis once and didn't go to the hospital and now have a permanent indention on my back side. Is there any reason as to why a gallbladder hurts to begin with? I thought maybe I had some sort of diabetes or something because of the nausea. Maybe I will man up and go to the doctor, but if I feel like it's something serious, I just try and forget it and not go. Which is extremely stupid I know. Thanks for your info and I wish the best to you and shall keep you updated .

WorriedSick24

Last edited by worriedsick24; 06-24-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
(female)

bubblegum3p HB User

yea, im 30 yrs. old. and my diet hasnt been all the best either! I really dont have to do anything either for the pain to just come on all of a sudden and sometimes it gradually comes on starting in the shoulderblade.

Yea, when I went to ER the dr. said how he knows it's gallbladder (which im sure he knows what he's talking about, he is an ER dr. and has seen it all) is the pain in the shoulderblade, chest and shoulder(all on the right side, dont get no pain on the left side) and how sometimes it hurts to take a deep breath. Then I'll get nauseas like I need to throw up and sometimes I do thinking it will make me feel better(sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt). Then my right side under my ribs will start to feel "crampy". and thats about it. I just had an "attack" that lasted 4 hours! Sorry to say, but the pain meds is about the only thing that takes that horrible pain away in my back and chest; if I take it right when my back starts hurting; if not, it goes straight through to my chest and the meds dont work that good and I have to suffer it out for several hours. OH, and he gave me some nausea pills; dont take those, they dont do anything but make me sleep and I wake up and am still nauseas.

He told me to start on a low fat diet. And honestly about after a week on it I AM getting less and less attacks; still getting them though but they are not as intense and dont last as long(shoot I had one last almost a week and did nothing but cry!)

I've been having cereal for breakfast with skim milk, 2 pieces of toast, and 1/2 orange(cuz of the acid tears my stomach up)
for lunch i've been eating a can of soup, crackers, jello and the other 1/2 of orange
for dinner no meat except chicken breast; veggies, veggies, veggies, 2 pieces of toast and a can of fruit
if i get hungry in between i eat like low fat cottage cheese with fruit, crackers, toast, jello, etc.

So, the dr. at ER said I needed to have a hydascan done ($1,500 and I have no insurance) so they can see if I have a diseased gallbladder and have it removed. Or he said beings I have no insurance after several attacks in a couple months time period my reg. dr. may just have it removed w/out the hydascan. So, thats what Im waiting on. I go see my dr. in 1 month and go from there!!!..........Good luck and hope this helps!

P.S.(if it is gallbladder and still having discomfort after diet change, then you most likely will have to have it removed! srry!)

Last edited by moderator2; 06-24-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
(female)

azmom4 HB User

Hi, the pain you described could possibly be a rib out of place. I have that happen to me a lot. Moving my neck doesn't bother it though. Also, my brother-in-law recently told me that he had pain and numbness on pretty much his whole left side one time and chest pain. His doctor told him it was heartburn, which it was. That's all the info I know.

Az

Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
(male)

worriedsick24 HB User

There is one other symptom I forgot to list as well, not sure if will have any difference in anyone's opinion. The spot on my back that hurts as described in previous posts itches alot. It seems to itch right in the middle of the pain and I notice that I usually have to scratch this spot several times a day. Again, I want to thank you all for your past and future replies.

worriedsick24

Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
(female)

bubblegum3p HB User

mine does the same too. my chest too sometimes feels kinda itchy....I havent had an attack for 2 days now! Dr. is "insisting" on the hidascan...

Closed Thread