It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Pulled a neck muscle, please help!

My family and I went to Silver Dollar City over the weekends. Well I got on a roller coaster and I'm pretty sure it caused a neck muscle injury.
I didn't start feeling it until the next day. The muscle on the right side of my neck that runs along the front of my throat is really sore and tight. It's been 2 days now and it is hurting worse today. It even hurts worse when I swallow. Also the muscles in the back of my neck have been sore for a while, probabably though from me slouching over my computer at work all day.
I really pulled something good I guess.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Could a chiropractor help me? I dont' have the money to go to my regular doctor?
Anything I might be able to do at home to relieve the pain and tension in my neck would be very much appreciated.
Has anyone ever had a neck injury or pull a neck muscle on an amusement park ride? Is it still safe to ride again? We are planning to go back next weekend too.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Pulled a neck muscle, please help!

Years ago I pulled neck and shoulder muscles while helping my husband move an entertainment center.

I went to the clinic where they sent me to a chiropractor who determined it was a pinched nerve. She laid me out on a table, moved my head this way and that, and then gave a few tugs on my head. By the time I got off the table, the pain was completely gone!

You mentioned you might be able to see a chiropractor. I recommend this as your first step.

Good luck!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

This is day 3 and it is feeling worse. The whole right side of my neck is tense and feels a little warm. It really hurts when I swallow down the side of my neck and I feel like I have a lump in my throat when I swallow on that side now too.
I have an appt with a chiropractor this afternoon. I am really worried!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Any type of inflammation is bound to feel warm to the touch. You may have stressed a gland on that side, too. I have done that before and it does get better but it may take a few days.

If the chiropractor is not able to fix your neck, he/she will recommend someone for you to see. They might be able to find a clinic that does not cost much or a sliding scale fee. I am glad you are going this afternoon. The sooner you get it taken care of, the better.

Let me know how it went!

Lindaru

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ok, I am really freaking out, I have never had this type of injury and now I have a new symptom on top of everything else.
I am sitting here at my desk at work, I just turned my head to the side to look at something and I felt this strange ripple like a muscle spasm or something that went across my whole throat. My pulse sped up and I got short of breath for a minute. If felt like something was in my throat so I took a swallow of my water and a few minutes later it was gone.
That was very scary and un-nerving. What could that of been?
I can't wait to see the doctor, only 3 hours to go!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

The muscle spasm was probably just that. The other symptoms may have been anxiety if you are prone to anxiety (I am guessing you are).

Sometimes irritated glands in themselves can produce mucus (probably what you felt that the water got rid of). I still have my tonsils and if they get irritated, I will have occasional mucus in my throat.

Please try to calm down. If you had torn anything in your throat, you would likely have had pain that sent you to the emergency room right after it happened and possible bleeding.

I have to say that when I did my original neck and shoulder injury, it was the first time for me as well. I got in the next day, so I did not have a build-up of discomforts like you are having.

Take a deep breath, keep sipping your water and try not to turn your head too far.

Let me know how everything goes!

Lindaru

Closed Thread