It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
(male)

ram12 HB User
Cat scratch, developing symptoms similar to rabies?

Hello everyone.

First off, let me inform everyone that I come from a country which doesn't have much advanced health facilities. So naturally, animals roaming in streets or even pets are not vaccinated.

Almost 2 weeks ago, a cat scratched the palm of my left hand. I did knew a bit about rabies, and I quickly washed off the scratched area with some anti-septic soap and water. I don't think it worked however.

Now about a week ago, I developed mild fever along with flu. I did not pay much attention to it and took a few anti biotics, hoping it would fix it. But unfortunately, that developed into strong fever about a day ago (103 F). I have been taking influenza and fever medicines (certain antibiotics that always helped me get through fevers in the past). But now I have severe pain in the whole of my left arm, right up to the shoulder. I cannot outstretch the palm of my left hand completely, it's too painful. And I have developed small bumps on my left arm as well which seems like blood clots. The medicine called "Postan" helps lower the fever temporarily.

Is this rabies? Is there any chance of my survival now? Or am I overreacting and thinking way too much?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Cat scratch, developing symptoms similar to rabies?

Rabies is more likely to come from a bite than a scratch, as saliva or brain is required to transmit rabies, and the symptoms you describe do not sound at all like rabies. It could be wound infection or cat scratch fever. In fact, those lumps on your arm sound like swollen lymph nodes, which are a common symptom of cat scratch fever.

If it is cat scratch fever, most people recover within a month, given rest and good nutrition, although the disease can be serious in little children or people who are very frail.

If wound infection, you would benefit from antibiotics and having the wound cleaned by a doctor. If there are red streaks up your arm, that's a sign of a very serious wound infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
(male)

ram12 HB User

Thanks for replying.

I read up on a few websites regarding Cat Scratch Fever, and it does to much extent match my problem. Especially when I read somewhere that you feel pain in armpits, I thought "This is it", because thats the first place where I noticed the pain.

Should I switch from the medicine Augmentin (Co-amoxiclav) to Ciproxin (Ciprofloxacin), which I found suggested by some sites to be used in the disease? Also, would cleaning up the wound be any help since it has been almost two weeks since the infection?

Also, what should be done about the "serious" wound infection?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm not sure which antibiotic would be most useful. Cleaning the wound might not help much this late, but it can't hurt.

Red streaks require a hospital, and, among other things, intravenous antibiotics. But that probably won't happen.

Closed Thread