It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User
Unhappy Mosquito bites and swollen, painful finger :(

I searched the threads to see if there was something similar to what I am going through but no such luck...so if this post is redundant to something previously posted my apologies up front

Yes...mosquito season is rearing its ugly head...and bug spray does not always keep the nasty, little vampires off of me. So last night (around 8ish) I took my dogs out for their daily walk, I thought I covered myself quite well (spray, long sleeves, pants etc..), but I obviously missed my hands.

I received a bite on my right middle finger between the two upper joints. Last night it was itchy, I tried not to scratch. What has me worried is that when I got up this morning my finger was red, swollen and the joints (2 upper) are very sore, and the bite itself is very hard (almost feels like a pebble under the skin) It hurts to bend/move my finger.
Does anyone know what would cause the swelling/pain? It doesn't really even itch anymore...just the above symptoms are bothering me today. I have taken Tylenol for the pain...but it seemed to get worse as the day progressed.

If you have any suggestions for me I am open to try anything to get this pain to stop. I have a handle on the rest of my bites and I treat them as I get them (Benadryl cream, Calamine etc.)

Thank you in advance for any replies...your help is very much appreciated

Angela

Last edited by angela5271; 07-03-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Mosquito bites and swollen, painful finger :(

Most often the so called anesthesizing toxin the mosquitoes bite us with before attempting to steal our blood is what gives some violent reactions to the bite itself. I know that on myself, areas that do not have a lot of fatty tissue (fingers, toes, knees, elbows, shoulders) will tend to swell more dramatically than bites that happen on upper arms, thighs or torso.

I am guessing you might have unconsciously also rubbed that finger either on the bedding (have caught myself doing that) during the night or actually reached over in your sleep with your other hand and scratched it.

There are two things I can suggest to help with it. Hydrocortisone cream works good for me, and I also remember being little and out in the country, and making a paste out of baking soda to put on it which would draw out the swelling from the fluids created by my immune system.

A few nights ago I got one on the left shoulder that is right on the bone where it meets with your arm. That one swelled up to the size of a coffee cup saucer and is just now starting to diminish (no doubt I scratched it in the middle of the night as well).

Try those and give it a couple of days. If you do not see an improvement, it is possible what you thought was a mosquito might have been something else and you might need to get it checked out.

Let us know how it goes!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

jcjwillis HB User

I would also try some Benadryl. My daughter gets a similar reaction to mosquito bites and this helps with them.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User

Lindaru/jcjwillis thank you both for your replies. I am going to try the hydro cortisone as my finger is itching pretty good today (maybe a sign of healing?). My finger is also quite a bit more swollen than yesterday though

Maybe I did get bit by something other than a mosquito, but I do not think so...but I will definitely keep an eye on things and see my doctor if it gets worse than it is.

It really stinks because I am going to my aunt's today for the 4th and I really wanted to play horseshoes. I don't think that is going to happen now as the finger that is sore is the right hand (my predominate)...oh well I suppose I can watch and enjoy.

Lindaru...I am terribly sorry for the way your body reacts to bites...Mine never get as big as you mentioned yours getting...my daughter will swell up quite in the same manner as you do, but they always seem to diminish after a few days.

Happy 4th to you and your families...and thank you again for your input.

Angela

Last edited by angela5271; 07-04-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thanks, Angela. That one on my shoulder is pretty much gone now.

How about using a glove on that hand to diminish the discomfort while playing horse shoes? No fun when you have to be left out of doing something you enjoy.

Take care and happy Independence Day!

They have a new fire work out this year at the stand we sell for the American Legion. It is a space ship! I will think of everyone here when I light that off tonight.

Lindaru

Closed Thread