It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Maybe this will help my shoulder & ques on tendonitis..

Hi all. I think I've gotten tendonitits in left thumb, it's some swollen (not hot or red) and hurts like heck when I try to move it. I was already having some allergy/ear problems and had been avoiding taking prednisone for that so went ahead and started that this morning. I'm also trying to rest it and will ice as I can (hard to do while using a keyboard). I'm wondering if this will help me increase the strength in my right shoulder. About 2 years ago I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder - while I was in the sling before and after the surgery I taught myself to use my computer mouse left handed. I never switched back, until this morning. Maybe the mouse move will help with both.

If anybody has any suggestions other than the obvious rest and ice for the tendonitis I'd appreciate it. If it's not better in a day or two I'll call the Dr. I've already got PT twice this week and hubby has NOT been feeling well from radation therapy so I don't want another late night this week.

Tigg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: Maybe this will help my shoulder & ques on tendonitis..

Have you tried any NSAIDs? They really helped me when I had tendonitis. I have really taken them all, but Voltaren helped alot when I had tendonitis in my arm. I don't think any medications, including prednisone, will help increase strength in your shoulder. Prednisone will just reduce inflammation, and therefore pain. Only strengthening exercises will help increase strength. I would assume you had PT after your surgery. Did they give you any rotator cuff exercises?

Also, I have right shoulder problems, and I learned how to use my mouse with my left hand, too. I switch back and forth every now and then to give each side a break. I am not as fast on spreadsheets on my left as I am on my right, but I get by. If I have to really cruise through something, I just move it back to my right side for that task.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I'm very allergic to all the NSAIDS, otherwise that would have been the #1 choice. The tendonitis is in my left thumb (too much time working last week), to rest it I've moved the mouse back to the right hand. This is making me move my right arm more. This is the third round of PT for my shoulder in two years. I'm thinking that using the mouse with the right hand will help strengthen my shoulder since I'll be moving it more.

Tigg.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Tigg, Just be careful with too much movement with either hand/arm. It's possible there is some neuropathy on both sides and repetative movement will only add to the swelling and pain. I have wrist/hand braces that I wear when I need to. They are not the prettiest things, (won't make the best dressed list! LOL) but they do help. Have you had EMG's done? If not, maybe you could ask your doctor about them. They are a good way to diagnose nerve damage or impingement. It's possible that scar tissue from your surgery could be causing pressure on the nerves. Worth checking out, in my opinion.

Hang in there my friend, and keep us posted. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cmpgirl,

I haven't had nerve tests done yet, on the shoulder or arm. The PT is trying to strengthen the muscles in the shoulder - the strength at least is improving, and I'm supposed to be trying to do normal activities with it. I'm pretty sure the tendonitis is from overworking last week, I did 3-4 days of 9-10 hours without taking breaks, and I know better. I'm going to have the PT check it this afternoon, if it is tendonitis and isn't better soon I'll go have the orthopedist shoot some cortisone into it. I can manage without using it for the 3-4 days it'll take to get over the injection, it doesn't hurt much as long as I don't bend it.

For now I have to hold off on any further testing, injections (thumb aside) , or procedures that will cause me to be unable to take care of the grocery shopping, cooking etc. until my husband finishes radation therapy and has recovered. He's three weeks into eight weeks of treatment and is already having to lay down to rest a couple of times a day, not like him at all. I'm going to ask that the do the nerve testing for the neck/shoulder/ribs before they do more injections. I want to be sure I know where it's really coming from first.

Tigg.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I missed something.

What is the relationship between the tendonitis in the left thumb and prednisone. Did it get prescribed for your thumb? Has your doc made an actual diagnosis of tendonitis in your thumb?

steve

Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Steve,

I have the prednisone for an inner ear condition - it tends to retain fluid and and I have to take it to get it to drain. This happens a few times each year so the ENT has me keep the prednisone on hand. I was at the point where I needed to take it for the ear anyway, I also knew that it would likely help the thumb if it was tendonitis. The swelling and pain the the thumb are pretty much gone today, and my ear is much better too. The extra exercise my shoulder is getting does not seem to be causing any problems either.

Tigg.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Thanks Tigg,

I was wondering because I have a condition in my left thumb and am trying to treat it but don't know where to start.

I was in an auto accident last year which injured my left wrist, no breaks, just painful. I didn't see any docs because I kept thinking it would go away. Then my left thumb went mostly numb, but the pain remained. WOW! Talk about rhyming!

Anyway, I went to a neurologist and he preformed some nerve conduction tests and could not isolate the cause of the numbness. So I just decided to forget about it. Except it still hurts from time to time.

So do you use the prednisone for inflammation?

steve

Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Steve,

Yes, since I can't take NSAIDS due to allergy that's what I'm usually given for inflamation.

Tigg.

Closed Thread