It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

proudmommie HB User
Feeling of Lump in throat

I've been having the Lump in throat feeling for a few days now. I do have anxiety but not extreme. I get nervous, my mind won't shut up, always thinking, worry alot and no panic attacks now I have this feeling. I do have a mitral prolapse and I'm a new mirena user. I know both can cause anxiety. I've never had anxiety this bad until I had my baby 6 months ago and I know a mvp can get worse after a baby. I'm also considering having the mirena taken out. I've been debating it for a week now. Pills give me migraines and I don't want anymore kids. Any input you have for me will help.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Feeling of Lump in throat

Have you talked to your doctor about it? A lump in the throat can be anxiety but it can also be a thyroid problem. One out of every twenty women will develop thyroid problems postpartum, it's called postpartum thyroiditis.

Check the thyroid topic here on the board for more on thyroid, anxiety and pregnancy.

Your OBGYN may have already tested you for thyroid problems, you may want to check with them first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

proudmommie HB User

Wow, I've never heard of that before but do have some symptoms. I have an appointment on Friday to see My OB/GYN and will get her to test it. Thanks so much. I really want to get some help.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
(female)

Sherbear38 HB User

Dear Proudmommie - I had exactly what you are describing... it was an awful feeling because I thought it would get bigger, or move, and then I would'nt be able to breathe! Which of course, made it worse, the more I thought of that. I got thyroid tests, and came up with nothing. It was due to anxiety, they gave me some xanax, and that took care of it for a while. Anxiety can manifest itself physicaly in so many ways. I have since been diagnosed with an anxiety order, and have been on ativan for 7 years. But back then, with no insurance, I just got used to walking or driving around with a paper bag to breathe in, being so prone to anxiety attacks and hyperventilating.

See if an anxiety med helps, if just to test it out for a couple of weeks!....Hope you feel better.... Sherbear38

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
(female)

Texanne HB User

I once had a very unpleasant attack of something that doctors would now probably call GERD, and prescribe an extreme antacid; at the time (over 20 years ago) I felt like I had an apple stuck in my throat, accompanied by severe chest pain. I was a young, single career woman before the days of copays (one had to pay the doctor upfront and then submit the claim to the insurance company). I suffered for a long time until my mother saw me crying and told me she would pay the doctor visit. Long story short: The doctor gave me a prescription for Mylanta II, which contained extra strength Mylanta + codeine. It brought immediate relief. The doctor said many people admitted to ER with chest pains actually have this acid stuck in their chests. A few times in the years after this, I would feel this "apple stuck in the throat" feeling, and think I was getting a sore throat, treating it with Advil for a week or so before I realized it was the acid thing. Off to the drugstore to buy liquid extra strength Mylanta, and it goes away within days. Anxiety and stress do exacerbate the symptoms.

Closed Thread